Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just uncovered my V from a hard long winter, neatly covered in the garage on top of a stack of paper leaf bags from Home Depot to keep the tires off the garage floor. She looks pretty good. Tires look fine (I'll check them)...but after sticking the battery back in, what else should I consider? She was full up on gas and Sta-bil and chain sprayed with WD-40 before her nap as well.

Now, should I respray the chain before my first ride?
What else?

Thank you my fellow experts. 2nd year a coming...

Axel
:yeahsmile:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery

Also, when you put the battery back in, do you have to connect one of the sides first for some reason?

Thank you,
Axel

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Also, when you put the battery back in, do you have to connect one of the sides first for some reason?

Thank you,
Axel
I always disconnect the ground first when removing the battery and connect the ground last during the install. If you follow this method, should your wrench or socket touch the frame while your turning, you wont have a short to the frame.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I realize that, I just had my 600 checkup before I put her to bed. Almost perfect timing, and pulled in the shop as the gauge turned over 6 0 0.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I always disconnect the ground first when removing the battery and connect the ground last during the install. If you follow this method, should your wrench or socket touch the frame while your turning, you wont have a short to the frame.
Thank you. I had to look up which was 'ground'; black/negative. What a dope I am when it comes to mechanical stuff.:mad:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The beast has awoken

I remembered how to ride. How about that!?

Ride on!

:usa:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
WD-40 is a chain cleaner, not a chain lube.
AND....I highly recommend Dupont Teflon chain lube. drys to the touch and doesn't collect much dirt and grime....use after cleaning with the WD-40. Buy it at any automotive supply and/or hardware store.

·
Registered
175 Posts
AND....I highly recommend Dupont Teflon chain lube. drys to the touch and doesn't collect much dirt and grime....use after cleaning with the WD-40. Buy it at any automotive supply and/or hardware store.
+1 on the Dupont Teflon.... wd-40 has not much in the way of lubricating properties... It is a great solvent though... I use it to clean my wheel rims...

Richard

·
Registered
643 Posts
I am embarrassed to say that I did nothing to prep either of my bikes for winter in Wisconsin. They both started up fine in April.

·
Super Moderator
19,132 Posts

Thank you,
Axel
Usual suggestion is to do the '+' side first. :thumb:

·
Registered
764 Posts
sprocket pointed out a good point... WD-40 is NOT a chain lube... or a lube at all. It is a cleaner that will strip out the lubrication that is in your chain. Only use it if you intent to wipe down the chain and immediately put chain lube on afterwards.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Where can you get it?
How do you apply it?

Thanks!
Lowes. $5 a can.

My chain does not pick up any visible dirt using this. I apply by lifting my bike up onto a rear stand and place a piece of cardboard on the ground under the chain and another behind the chain to catch the overspray. I marked my chain with a permanent marker so I have a start and stop point. I spray it liberally with the provided straw and get it good and wet. I rotate the tire and soak the entire chain. I remove the cardboard pieces, remove the bike from the stand and thats it. It does say to let it dry so I usually do this as I am parking it for the day. Very easy. I do this after every fuel fill up. ~200-250 miles.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
+1 on the Dupont Teflon.... wd-40 has not much in the way of lubricating properties... It is a great solvent though... I use it to clean my wheel rims...

Richard
It's an expensive way to clean rims. The solvent ingredient is mineral spirits, which can be bought as cheap paint thinner from any hardware store. You can probably get a whole gallon for the same price as a pint of WD40.

I like to use Coleman lantern fuel (naptha). It cleans better and quicker and evaporates quickly.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lowes. $5 a can.

My chain does not pick up any visible dirt using this. I apply by lifting my bike up onto a rear stand and place a piece of cardboard on the ground under the chain and another behind the chain to catch the overspray. I marked my chain with a permanent marker so I have a start and stop point. I spray it liberally with the provided straw and get it good and wet. I rotate the tire and soak the entire chain. I remove the cardboard pieces, remove the bike from the stand and thats it. It does say to let it dry so I usually do this as I am parking it for the day. Very easy. I do this after every fuel fill up. ~200-250 miles.

Perfect! Thank you. I see above I can also get it at an automotive and hardware store. As I'm very close to a Home Depot, I'll give them a shot.

Now to wait until next weekend for the rain this week to stop.:rolleyes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts