Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get the OEM oil filter off my 650 LT, changing oil after 30 miles per motoman however it is on there to tight, any ideas how to get it off? I tried the filter wrench and no good, it fits but keep slipping.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I once drove a long screwdriver through the filter from one side to the other, then used that to torque the filter off. It's messy, but it worked.

Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I once drove a long screwdriver through the filter from one side to the other, then used that to torque the filter off. It's messy, but it worked.

Good luck.
Yh, thanks, trying to prevent doing this lol I have read this was a possibility.

·
Premium Member
16,251 Posts

Good luck.
+2

·
Registered
421 Posts
Try a strap type filter wrench.
The more torque you apply to the wrench the tighter the strap grips the filter.
Put the wrench as close to the base of the filter as possible.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Trying to get the OEM oil filter off my 650 LT, changing oil after 30 miles per motoman however it is on there to tight, any ideas how to get it off? I tried the filter wrench and no good, it fits but keep slipping.
Pipe wrench.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you are using one of those "socket" type filter wrenches that caps over the end of the oil filter, do a few wraps of duct tape around the end of the filter. Gives it just enough of a larger diameter that your wrench cap will hold tightly without slipping.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you are using one of those "socket" type filter wrenches that caps over the end of the oil filter, do a few wraps of duct tape around the end of the filter. Gives it just enough of a larger diameter that your wrench cap will hold tightly without slipping.
Thanks, I will give that a try, I also hear to wrap tape both ways on the filter to get a better grip with your hand, it seems the wrench is tight on the filter once on, it just keep slipping.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I bought a plastic automotive end cap type filter wrench (3/8 drive) at canadian tire. it's a local hardware/box store in canada, but I did have to grind down the outside lip for it to have enough clearance to work with the versys. BTW on other machines I have wrenched on in the past , the spear and turn with a screw driver has worked, but I have also used a hammer and chisel method as well, ....as in drive the edge in a counter clockwise direction, not cut it off with a chisel...lol.

·
Super Moderator
1,488 Posts
LEFTY LOOSY not RIGHTY TIGHTY!!!

:)

If you think that is tight - wait till you need to undo the front Sprocket nut !!!

For some reason they hire Sumo wrestlers to assemble bikes!

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
i had to take channel locks to mine....... it dosnt have to look good after you get it off :)

·
Registered
123 Posts

Good luck.
I have resorted to that as well. The bigger the screwdriver the better.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Your wrench might be over size. The one I got is so tight I have to tap it off the new filter. The Versys is the ONLY motorcycle, or car for that matter, I have ever owned that had a torque spec on the filter.

·
Super Moderator
19,777 Posts

Good luck.
I've done that too, when I HAD to.

Your wrench might be over size. The one I got is so tight I have to tap it off the new filter. The Versys is the ONLY motorcycle, or car for that matter, I have ever owned that had a torque spec on the filter.
I ONLY ever 'torqued' the filter ON once (when I was 'chasing' an oil leak on my '08) - it took a total of 2.5 turns to get 13#/', while the filters say tighten till it touches, then ANOTHER 3/4 turn, which is what I do.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I have never not been able to get the filter off the v. On my truck however the filter is in a spot that is hard to get to. I usually have to use a screw driver through the filter as I can never find my filter wrench when needed. Just make sure you do it close enough to the top to not hit the filter threading on the engine.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts