Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

How to lubricate chain on a side kick stand

10K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  A2RON 
#1 ·
Hi there,
Anyone can tell me how to clean and lubricate the chaicn on the side kick stand.

Thanks.

#2 ·
There are a couple ways of doing it. Tip the bike over to you untill the rear wheel comes off the ground. Put a wood block or something under the other side of the swingarm to keep the bike propped up, only problem with that is now the chain is on the bottom side.

Or simply clean the part of the chain on the bottom then move the bike some and clean some more. Could take a while, same thing to lube it.

I use a rear stand and it makes it really easy, put cardboard between wheel and chain and spray it with chain cleaner and scrub it with a brush.

#3 ·
If you really cant get a rear stand, then this is a recommended way. put the bike on side stand as normal and use a car jack with a piece under the muffler.

Jack just enough to lift the wheel of the ground and you are good to lube the chain.

Just be careful as the bike can fall.

:goodluck:

#8 ·
I have done this a few times when in a hurry and had a helping hand. Some of you proper pros ont like it.

while on the side stand and in neutral, grab the front brake and then lean it standing on the right side by pushing down and left on the left handlebar, this levers the rear wheel off the ground slightly, just hand turn and lube. This method does put a lot of weight on your side stand, so be sure you are on level ground.

Its an easy way to lube on the road, well easier than spraying and then moving the bike four or five times.

#9 · (Edited)
Somewhere on a portable HD I have this with pictures but...Can't find.

You need
An old clutch or break reservoir the white translucent plastic kind, we use Honda Cub variant.
I piece of short plastic tubing to fit on the reservoir
I piece of plastic or Future board about 6 inches square
Some tie wraps

Attached are 1000 word pictures?

The idea you fill the reservoir with your favourite oil and put the lid back on.
Clip the whole assembly to the swing arm.
Unscrew the top from the reservoir and walk the bike forward until all the oil has run out of the reservoir.

Attachments

#15 ·
I've been using the Quick Stand myself, however the swingarm spool loop wasn't big enough for my spools so I had to replace the Quick Stand's loop with a larger loop.

Other than that it worked as advertised and packs small and light.

#13 ·
Used this method since for ever. Quick, portable, beats the regular bike stand, especially on the road :). Initially I was using a velcro to pull in the front brake, but is not needed- I have the widefoot from Speedy, I guess that helps in stabilizing/stopping the bike from moving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.