Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

How to Lube Chain While on Long Trip?

13K views 39 replies 29 participants last post by  chatmaurice 
#1 ·
My Versys is very new still and I am enjoying it immensely. I do plan to take a coast to coast trip with it in a few months. I am getting things together as a real newbie. I haven't owned very many bikes lately with chains, and without a center stand, I am wondering how others go about lubing the chain while away from home.

I grew up on British bikes that leaked oil (of course) and lube on the chain was constant, and slung off on my nice chrome rims. So I am not interested in any automatic oiling systems.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Richard

#2 ·
A small can of WD-40? Spray the chain where you can reach it, roll the bike forward, spray some more? Find some friends from the forum or otherwise who have the space and tools to loan you? Maybe find a shop on the way who can do it for you?

If you're in San Francisco, let me know, you can swing on by.

#3 ·
Easiest way is Scottoiler. This is the first bike I have owned with Scottoiler. I would lube my chain once a day by rolling the bike around in a circle in a parking lot lubing about 10 links at a time. You can also use a prop, bike jack. You pull the bike up on the side stand and use the prop under the opposite side to get the back wheel off the ground. The prop is also useful for tire changing.

#7 · (Edited)
Good question. I get a small can of WD40 and my favorite lube, and a bunch of old rags. I just clean what I can reach, roll the bike forward, and repeat until I've cleaned and lubed the entire chain.

There are some products that claim to lift the rear wheel to make it easier that could be packed for travel:

A motorcycle rear wheel cleaning stand-
http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-wheel-cleaning-stand-98800.html

Or a Tommyjack-
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/tommy-jack/
Also mentioned in this link is a Rollastand, they say it requires muscle to work.

I've not tried either of these "lifts/stands". I personally wouldn't bother taking up the extra packing space with them, but the Tommyjack makes me think about it....

Note: I don't know how old the webbike world article is, so I don't know if the link to the site that sells the Tommyjack works. I just found the article by searching.

#9 ·
This thread has several DIY and commercial solutions, including the Pak-Jak.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15766

I bring my home-make jack and a can of Bell-Ray strapped side by side. Put the velcro straps on the front brake, side stand on firm ground, jack goes under the right rear spool. Once I have the wheel a couple mm off the ground I can lube the chain with ease.

#10 ·
Yes! Thanks for all the good links and ideas. I will probably be traveling alone and hope to be gone for a month or so, so I do think maintenance will be involved at least a little.

I will retire in a few more days and this trip is like a reward to myself (besides the new bike). I have been riding off and on for over 50 years, and have recently been on the sportbike side of things. The Versys is a change of direction and I am thankful for all on this site for support.

Richard

#12 ·
I've done the "10 link at a time then roll the bike" method before. I found it to be quite time consuming and still messy. Here is what I do now when away from my track stand. I stop at anyplace that has a dumpster bin accessible and room to roll my V around. 90%of the time you can find a suitable cardboard box poking out the top or within reach. I make a disposable shield by just ripping open the box and tearing it into a piece about 20inches long and about 6" wide. Leave the box ears on the "custom spray shield" and shove it (folded) between the chain and the swingarm. It will stay in place on its own as the clearance isn't great right there. Now you can spray about a third of the links at once and keep your bike clean too. Remove the cardboard, roll forward to do the next third, repeat until done. Now throw all that cardboard back into the dumpster bin and your done. If your the type that wipes the chain after oiling, then wipe before moving the bike between chain sprays. Throw that oily rag or newspaper away too.

Tips: if you have room to carry it, make two cardboard shields. Save the second one in your bags for next time. If your traveling with others, work as a team on each others bikes and it goes rather quickly. One rolls, one sprays. My friend rides a Triumph 650 and we have it down where we have both chains lubed in minutes when we ride together.

#15 ·
Did you order the Pacjack model for the Versys its for taller bikes. You have to call them to order that one.

#16 ·
Find an old crutch, and cut it down (see the pics), and get a piece of double-sided velcro about 8" long (used to hold the front brake ON so your V doesn't roll). Bike on sidestand, then lift up from right side w/ your shoulder, then place the crutch under your swingarm spool... you DO have 'spools', right...? Then spray, turn wheel a bit, repeat till done.

TOTAL cost? A couple of $....

Attachments

#18 ·
Weljo2001,
I simply placed my order on their website, but followed up with an email after reading about the adjustable one. Greg, from packjack, responded that he would have asked about the particulars of the bike. I did order for spools, as I do have them for when I am home, and Greg said that the adjustable would work fine for the Versys with spools.

I will do a photo follow-up when I get it. This really seems to be the answer for me.

Also, I do like the idea of using something to hold the front brake on while doing this!

Thanks to all,
Richard

#19 ·
I haven't tried the product yet, but the idea of Motul's Chain Paste sounds like it'd be a good thing for travel. Comes in a toothpaste like tube, has a brush built in to it and you kind of scrub it into the chain to apply the lubricant.

Would pack easy, no aerosol cans to worry bout leaking.

I'd recommend wrapping a bit of velcro around your Pack-Jack so you have something to wrap around your grip and front brake lever. Don't want the bike rolling off the stand while your fingers are between the chain and sprocket!

#22 ·
Couple of observation.

Why worry about getting your rear wheel dirty? On a long trip your bike will be filthy.

You need a prop and the knowledge to use it to get both the front and rear wheel off the ground (but not at the same time) for flat repair.

"Motorcycle" chain lube can be very difficult to find in the middle of Montana, Mexico or Canada. Seems bike shops are open when they feel like it. Use something you can buy at Walmart like 90 wt gear oil.

I used 'em all, walking the bike and lubing a bit at a time. putting it on a prop and turning the wheel and now the Scottoiler. Wish I had gone to the Scottoiler years ago.

#23 ·
"Motorcycle" chain lube can be very difficult to find in the middle of Montana, Mexico or Canada.
Chain lube is easily found in Canada. Home Hardware sell Castrol chain lube and Canadian Tire sell Liquid Wrench brand. I live near a small town and we have both of these stores plus they are nation wide.

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/cat/search/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN?Ntt=chain+oil

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/search-results.html?searchByTerm=true&q=chain+oil

#25 ·
It's more difficult than it needs to be because we don't have a center stand. Take rags or paper towels in a Zip-Lok bag and some sort of chain cleaner (DuPont, Briteway Grime-Out, WD 40, etc.) and any chain lube you like. Do it at the end of a day's riding so the chain lube will adhere better on a warm chain. I bought some Motul Chain Paste just for this situation. You brush it on. Or stop in at a dealership and pay to have them do it. They have a lift and could do it faster than you will be able to on your own, backing the bike up every foot. Or else buy a Kawi Connie (with shaft-drive)!

#36 ·
Scottoiler

I've now used them on about 5 bikes (abt 450k kms). I should have shares in the company :D

There are a number of reasons for using them:

They at least double chain life in my experience. That is, they pay for themselves in one chain replacement.

No more stuffing around trying to oil the chain. This is especially good on a long trip.

Cleaning the chain and rear wheel is a breeze. They use non sticky oil, so it wipes off with a bit of kerosene/parafin on a cloth. Easy peasy.

They do have a couple of downsides:

The dripper tube tends to block up if you travel dirt roads for any distance. A paper clip or bit of tie wire cleans this out easily. It can be twisted around the vacuum tube at the top of the canister when not being used.

Getting the flow rate right can take a bit of time. Expect to get some oil dripping on the garage floor while you get the rate set properly. But once set, its set.

The Scottoiler for my 2015 V 650 should arrive tomorrow - its been dispatched.

I've used nearly every other recommendation on this thread and none of them are as convenient as the Scottoiler. I see it as a saving, not a cost - see point 1, above.

The Scottoiler site in UK has fitting instructions for most models of bike, including Versys.

BruceC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.