Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Just bought a 300 x for my dad. Really nice bike, but for me it's quite painful, as I've been riding bigger bikes for a while. I feel like I'm back in school with a 125 2 stroke, except there's no power band. How can I get better mid engine torque? Is it worth changing sprockets. Are there exhaust restrictions one can remove, or do I need to remap/chip it to get better performance? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
Vx300 Embrace the Revs!
278 Posts
New or used? If used, someone may have re-geared it. Mine had much taller gearing installed when got it used. What power there is lies between 8-12k rpm and it pulls stronger with a 14t up front.
It doesn’t sound like the Vx300 is a good fit for you. Some of us here do like this bike. I’m not going to try to sell you on the virtues of smaller displacement. The question is what does your dad think?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New or used? If used, someone may have re-geared it. Mine had much taller gearing installed when got it used. What power there is lies between 8-12k rpm and it pulls stronger with a 14t up front.
It doesn’t sound like the Vx300 is a good fit for you. Some of us here do like this bike. I’m not going to try to sell you on the virtues of smaller displacement. The question is what does your dad think?
Hi, it's used (2019) but literally perfect condition, only 1800k's on the clock. It has 14 front, 46 back. What about exhaust restrictors? Or have you heard of a booster plug?

It's probably perfect for my dad, but his last bike was the Versys 600, so certainly a downsize - it's a surprise, so he doesn't even know I got it for him.

I ride a T7, so can't really compare, and I came from single cylinder 660 thumper, so it is quite a change.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Its a 300cc bike. It won't be any form of power house bike. But you don't buy a bike like that for the power, you buy it for the lightweight, and costs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Note that perception of power (and other qualities) is very subjective and contextual (?). If you hop off a 650, and the all up weight hasn't changed tremendously, it can be discouraging. So one solution is, stay off the 650 or 700, and maybe try a slow car or a bicycle for a while. :)

Getting off my DR650 and jumping on the 1st-gen KLR650 was like a kick in the nuts. And temporarily obscured the fact that then KLR is a really fun and useful bike. 30 minutes later, KLR was fine.

Spent a year recently on Yamaha xt225 almost exclusively. Jumping back on the Nighthawk 750 occasionally, it felt like a rocket ship. Which is not the way that bike is normally described. :)

·
Super Moderator
20,798 Posts
Hi guys. Just bought a 300 x for my dad. Really nice bike, but for me it's quite painful, as I've been riding bigger bikes for a while. I feel like I'm back in school with a 125 2 stroke, except there's no power band. How can I get better mid engine torque? Is it worth changing sprockets. Are there exhaust restrictions one can remove, or do I need to remap/chip it to get better performance? Thanks in advance
PIN THE THROTTLE!

WFO works....

·
Registered
Vx300 Embrace the Revs!
278 Posts
I’m running stock exhaust. Quiet in he neighborhood. They hear me coming at cruising speed. Some have recommended booster plug if going aftermarket exhaust. I’ve not heard reports of actual power gains from doing so. Seems more about what you and everyone else gets to listen to

·
Registered
Vx300 Embrace the Revs!
278 Posts
There’s a corner leading into a freeway entrance where geese like to cross. They do not yield for my car or any others I’ve seen. I came up on them half way across the road whilst cornering the Vx. They were panicking to get out my way fast enough. Wasn’t even close, but I was amused 😂 watch out for grease spots

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
The open exhaust will not give you more power, and the CAT is not restrictive. However, you save some weight and will have nicer sound. My Akra is very quiet even with baffle out, too quiet for my taste, surprisingly quiet in fact. Booster Plug will not give you more power, but will make the bike run more smooth. Also removing the O2 sensor will make the throttle smoother, because the constant transition between the close and open loop makes the bike jerky.

As for the gearing, after some experiments with 15T front sprocket, I decided that the stock gearing is optimal for this bike. Otherwise, if you want to drive fast, the bike cannot pull, and you need to ride on 5th gear.

·
Registered
197 Posts
If you've come from larger displacement bikes, you must of had an idea of the performance capabilities of a 300cc bike, and the X-300 compared to others in its class are better than most. I too come from larger displacement and more powerful bikes.
2014 Goldwing GL1800 118 HP / 123 LBS torque
2016 Moto Guzzi Griso 1200 109 HP / 80 LBS torque
2016 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE 132 HP / 89 LBS torque

After owning and riding these bikes over the last decade, I knew what I was getting with the Versys X-300 with 40 HP / 19 LBS torque. If your expectations are high for a 300cc bike, then you will be disappointed. Kawasaki has pretty much tweaked and squeezed this motor for just about all it can get.

After all, its the well proven Ninja motor and remember you are only looking at 19 Ft LBS of torque with this bike. Even if you could do something to squeeze 2 more pounds of torque out of it, with 19 lbs of torque, its not going to make much difference. Good luck and if you do, please let us know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you've come from larger displacement bikes, you must of had an idea of the performance capabilities of a 300cc bike, and the X-300 compared to others in its class are better than most. I too come from larger displacement and more powerful bikes.
2014 Goldwing GL1800 118 HP / 123 LBS torque
2016 Moto Guzzi Griso 1200 109 HP / 80 LBS torque
2016 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE 132 HP / 89 LBS torque

After owning and riding these bikes over the last decade, I knew what I was getting with the Versys X-300 with 40 HP / 19 LBS torque. If your expectations are high for a 300cc bike, then you will be disappointed. Kawasaki has pretty much tweaked and squeezed this motor for just about all it can get.

After all, its the well proven Ninja motor and remember you are only looking at 19 Ft LBS of torque with this bike. Even if you could do something to squeeze 2 more pounds of torque out of it, with 19 lbs of torque, its not going to make much difference. Good luck and if you do, please let us know.
Grease spots or Geese spots! :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Maybe your dad is a two-stroke fan? He will love it? He can play at MotoGP at lower speeds.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts