Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this discussion today. I'm referring to safety in general. Do you feel safe in your city? Country? What issue of safety do you have concerns about?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Well considering I am slowly dying (like everyone else, one day at a time), and pass the Midway point 45(maybe). I like to think when riding I'm about a 5. Now if I knew better I would be terrified. Everyone is out to get me.......

·
Registered
4,597 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,006 Posts
I don't even think about it. I take precautions (ATGATT) as a rule, try to stay aware of my surroundings, and just "keep-on keepin' on"...!

So FAR it's worked!

:teetertooter:

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I had this discussion today. I'm referring to safety in general. Do you feel safe in your city? Country? What issue of safety do you have concerns about?
I think the more miles you have under your belt the safer you become. If you are the kind of person to take risks or just naturally be distracted though you are probably more at risk. IMO defensive driving is important. I.E. slowing before intersections, scanning before crossing, looking both ways before proceeding on a green, etc.. Gear makes an enormous difference too, if you crash, on the severity of injuries sustained. Over all though I feel very safe on the bike.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
10. No safety concerns whatsoever up here in Canada. We don't feel the need to carry a gun or anything either... I do feel very safe. I never even think about it.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Feel pretty safe riding around 9 out of 10 but number drops closer to 5 out 10 near the mountains where the odd orc has been know to chase motorbikes or overseas tourist driving on wrong side of the road.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
So a cop stops me. Asks me to step out of the car. Finds the 9mm in the glove box, 40 S&W under the seat, AR15 in the trunk. "What are you afraid of?" he asks. "Not a damned thing".

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Well considering I am slowly dying (like everyone else, one day at a time), and pass the Midway point 45(maybe). I like to think when riding I'm about a 5. Now if I knew better I would be terrified. Everyone is out to get me.......
Just because you are paranoid, it doesn't mean that they are not out to get you. Think about it. . . .. :D

·
Super Moderator
19,006 Posts
Quotes from "An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth"...

I'm reading the book - "An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth" written by Chris Hadfield, a Canadian astronaut who was recently the commander of the Internat'l Space Station for six months, and here are two quotes from near the end of chapter three, that to ME fit right into this thread:

"You don't have to walk around perpetually braced for disaster.... But it sure is a good idea to have some kind of a plan for dealing with unpleasant possibilities."

"My optimism and confidence come not from feeling I'm luckier than other mortals.... They're the result of a lifetime spent visualizing defeat and figuring out how to prevent it."

I met Chris some years ago and flew w/ his brother Dave when I was a B727 captain. One HELLUVA guy!!!

:exactly:

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm reading the book - "An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth" written by Chris Hadfield, a Canadian astronaut who was recently the commander of the Internat'l Space Station for six months, and here are two quotes from near the end of chapter three, that to ME fit right into this thread:

"You don't have to walk around perpetually braced for disaster.... But it sure is a good idea to have some kind of a plan for dealing with unpleasant possibilities."

"My optimism and confidence come not from feeling I'm luckier than other mortals.... They're the result of a lifetime spent visualizing defeat and figuring out how to prevent it."

I met Chris some years ago and flew w/ his brother Dave when I was a B727 captain. One HELLUVA guy!!!

:exactly:
I read his book a few months back! What a great guy, and that's so cool you got to meet him. He's got a lot of good lessons to teach (especially relating to my career field!). I think my favorite was about "sweating the small stuff". A lot of people like to say "don't sweat the small stuff", when in fact, you should. Small things can turn into big problems. This is applicable in space, flying, riding, and whatever. My other big takeaway was always thinking about "the next thing that can kill me".

If we're talking about riding, I usually feel pretty safe. I'm a firm believer that "**** happens" is bull****. While there can be some extreme accidents out of your control, the majority of bad situations you may find yourself in are due to the fact that you let yourself be there. A great technique created by a legendary US fighter pilot by the name of John Boyd was the OODA loop: observe, orient, decide, and act. Observe your surroundings (what's the next thing that can kill me?)... orient yourself (where do I fall into what I've just observed and what can I do?)... decide (choose the best solution and go with it)... act (make it happen!).... repeat! If you are constantly running this loop through your head, you stay ahead of the game in almost any situation.

As far as how safe I feel in general? Not much trouble in the SE USA. Like country or city, there are always places to avoid. I find that in everyday life, applying some of the above principles like I do while flying or riding helps keep me on the right track and out of bad situations.

·
Registered
157 Posts
A great technique created by a legendary US fighter pilot by the name of John Boyd was the OODA loop: observe, orient, decide, and act. Observe your surroundings (what's the next thing that can kill me?)... orient yourself (where do I fall into what I've just observed and what can I do?)... decide (choose the best solution and go with it)... act (make it happen!).... repeat! If you are constantly running this loop through your head, you stay ahead of the game in almost any situation.
I love how people can put labels on the obvious. The trouble with things like this is (IMHO) is riders take it to literally. Riding should be a nice experience. Not a mind f###. Of course we need to be aware, be confident and anticipate. The action should take care of itself. Just enjoy the ride.

Oh yeah, how safe do I feel? Totally safe. I occasionally get scarred / get into unsafe situations, but I'm not continuously scarred. Otherwise, why ride at all?

·
Super Moderator
19,006 Posts
Another Canadian astronaut (whose name I don't recall) rode my flight-deck from Halifax to Toronto back in the '80s. This fellow is a doctor, and took care of a passenger (at the gate), but the flight was full, so I took him "up-front" as 'thanks'.

BTW Ed - what are you flying/ going to fly?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
10 years as a Firefighter taught me to "Prepare for the worse and hope for the best"

You can't live your life in fear BUT you'd be a fool not to look both ways when crossing the road.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I love how people can put labels on the obvious. The trouble with things like this is (IMHO) is riders take it to literally. Riding should be a nice experience. Not a mind f###. Of course we need to be aware, be confident and anticipate. The action should take care of itself. Just enjoy the ride.
You might think it's obvious, but many people simply allow themselves to be affected by their environments as opposed to being in control. Now keep in mind, I'm definitely coming from a survival/military sort of perspective, but it's one I've found useful in many situations. For what it's worth, I do agree with you to a certain extent... It's not like I'm some robot going through calculations, feeling no emotion. The process should become second-nature, allowing you to have the best experience. My philosophy is to push the limits while mitigating the risk as much as possible. I fully enjoy my time riding and I'm sure everyone has theirs ways and techniques to maximize theirs.

Another Canadian astronaut (whose name I don't recall) rode my flight-deck from Halifax to Toronto back in the '80s. This fellow is a doctor, and took care of a passenger (at the gate), but the flight was full, so I took him "up-front" as 'thanks'.

BTW Ed - what are you flying/ going to fly?
:topsecret:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts