Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hey Bro, "Hold my beer while I clean my chain." :badidea::badidea:

Damn, I can't imagine what pain that was, plus as he said, it's a mistake he'll pay for the rest of his life.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here's the text from the post if your a wuss like me who doesn't want to see the pictures.

I will start off by saying that I am a worthless squid rookie and I suck at everything in life.
I was about to go for a ride today and my chain was pretty nasty, so I put it up on the stands and got out the wd-40 and a rag. I started the bike, put it in gear and let it idle. I sprayed the chain down really well and I put the rag up to it and it got caught and took my hand with it through the rear sprocket. I had to have everything above my last joint amputated on my index, pointer and my ring finger on my right hand. Thankfully I am left handed. It was a stupid mistake on my part and now I will forever pay the price for it. Say what you will, flame away, I don't care. I have accepted it and I take full responsibility. I made a choice (not knowing any better) and I will live with the consequences for the rest of my life. I thought I would post this so that 1.) no one else ever makes this mistake and 2.) To show that you don't have to be riding for a bike to get you hurt.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This reminds me of when I was around 7 my neighbor went to pull a wire coat hanger out of the bottom of a running lawn mower. The result was the same.

:eek:

·
Registered
59 Posts
My best friend Kevin did something smiler to that when we were about 14 or 15 years old. We were sitting on a hill in a old stone quarry about 5 or 6 miles from home. He had a branch or something in his chain, reached back to remove it and lost his balance. After losing the front brake his fingers went backwards through the sprocket as the bike went dragging him down the hill. Kevin was very lucky and only lost two small pieces of his finger tips.
( Ever try riding home 2 up on a '72 Yamaha 100 with a bleeding, screaming wild man on the back? )

The bad part was that we were young, stupid, skipping school, and grounded from our bikes at the time. All hell broke loose that day! The rest is history that to this day we have never heard the end of. Kev's mom and my dad are still alive, still live less than a block from each other and whenever we all get together the story is still told.

I wish this young man the best.
Ride Safe
Steve

·
Registered
775 Posts
That's brutal... in my 30+ years in the construction biz I have seen worse...hands caught in table saws, routers, grinders, jack hammers, the scissor part of a bobcat arm...Very bad stuff sometimes...

·
Registered
121 Posts
man...that's rough. there had to have been some kind of alarm going off in the back of the guys head, the Common Sense Alarm was probably ringing off the hook...he really should have paid attention to it.

...eesh...

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
We had a character who was checking timing on a car and reached in to wipe the marks off while it was running. The timing light made it look like everything was standing still, and he had a brain fart thinking it really was.....

They called him "Stumpy" after that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I used to work with a guy who was getting his mower ready for the winter. Had it running and wanted to tip it to the side so it would run all the gas out. I'm sure you can imagine how that turned out. But I'm sure his cuts were cleaner than this guy's.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I used to work with a guy who was getting his mower ready for the winter. Had it running and wanted to tip it to the side so it would run all the gas out. I'm sure you can imagine how that turned out. But I'm sure his cuts were cleaner than this guy's.
Depends on when the blade was last sharpened........;)

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'm seen similar wounds at our flying field when I used to fly R/C airplanes. Every now and then someone would get their fingers in the propeller when starting the engine, usally the same result, someone packs up their plane and gear while someone else would drive them to the emergency room. I kept a large first aid kit at the field just for this reason.
One good thing about accidents like this, is they should all teach us a lesson about caution when working with any thing with a potentional of injury.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was a Paramedic for nine years. If you wear a ring, all kinds of bad things can happen. (On the GOOD ones I could cut the rings off the stumps) It takes even more determination to wreak this kind of havok on bare hands.
Don't even ask me about ponytails...

Sorry for your pain, my friend. Thanks for posting this warning for us all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts