Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what kind of mileage everyone is getting. I think am getting about 200 miles per tank when i am fully loaded for touring and doing relatively high speed riding. So that maybe comes out to 45 mpg per gallon assuming the tank is 4.5 gallons. Which is kind of mediocre. Not sure what i would get in optimal conditions. Would love to hear what kind of mileage everyone is getting and your riding style.

·
Registered
69 Posts
This does not answer your question, but I have been driving and riding a variety of vehicles and motorcycles over the past 50 years. I have never kept track of or worried about mileage. The fact is that it takes X amount of energy to propel Y mass at Z velocity. To reduce X either Y or Z has to be reduced. Of course reducing wind resistance can help but not so much with a motorcycle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You're doing better than I am. 2009 650 with Givi saddlebags and a large tail trunk gets 200 miles if I stay off the interstate highways I added one tooth to the front sprocket, so the speedo is accurate and the odometer reads 8% low. In the 15000 miles I've owned it, I have a low of 35.9 and a high of 56.6 with an average of 44.6 mpg. I have put as much as 5.2 gallons in the tank, It goes between 30 and 35 indicated miles after it starts to complain about low fuel.

Sorry, didn't notice I was in the X300 area. My Ninja 250s and 300 got slightly better mileage and were equipped the same as the 650.

·
Registered
Vx300
65 Posts
My riding style is similar. A mostly interstate commute 70+ mph. I usually put in about 4 gallons at about 200 miles. Stock gearing. I’m under 50 mpg somewhere, but haven’t really bothered to sharpen a pencil to figure exactly. I’m sure it’d do better at more modest speeds. Not spectacular, but great performance for 300cc amd cheap insurance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm probably an outlier. Most of my riding is on back roads here in rural SW VA, usually 35-45 mph. I consistently see 70+ mpg. Great ride and great mileage. BTW, have installed 15T front sprocket. Have tried 16, but like 15 better.

John

·
Registered
2017 Versys-X 300
31 Posts
I can get 70 MPG without worrying about it. I probably drive about 50/50 between local and highway miles. I take open roads to get there and local roads to enjoy. I drive 70 to 75 on the highway and rev to 6 or 7K when shifting. I have stock gearing. I typically am loaded out between 275 and 300 lbs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put on 300 miles today and while I wasn't counting the mpg, I was watching the range indicator change as I rode at different speeds in different conditions. It seems that once you start going over 60mph, fuel efficiency drops off massively. A half hour at 80mph drained half my tank!

·
Super Moderator
19,918 Posts
On my V650s I normally get from 50mpgUS to an occasional 60.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Just wondering what kind of mileage everyone is getting. I think am getting about 200 miles per tank when i am fully loaded for touring and doing relatively high speed riding. So that maybe comes out to 45 mpg per gallon assuming the tank is 4.5 gallons. Which is kind of mediocre. Not sure what i would get in optimal conditions. Would love to hear what kind of mileage everyone is getting and your riding style.

Tank is 5.5 gallons. it will say range zero when you still have 0.7 gallons left. I never worry about stopping for gas until it starts to flash the "---". I get about 60 MPG on back road. about 48 when loaded on highway doing 75 mph. worse if high winds etc.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tank is 5.5 gallons. it will say range zero when you still have 0.7 gallons left. I never worry about stopping for gas until it starts to flash the "---". I get about 60 MPG on back road. about 48 when loaded on highway doing 75 mph. worse if high winds etc.
5.5 gallons for the x-300? You sure about that?

·
Super Moderator
19,918 Posts
5.5 gallons for the x-300? You sure about that?
Bet he rides a V650. VERY easy to respond to a thread for a different engine-size.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I like this subject...
In my 25,000 km ridden in 2.5 years I've recorded every fill-up and mileage. In my experience, my low fuel warning comes on usually just over 200 miles. I tend to wait for that before refueling.
My 3 best "miles driven" on a tank full is 225. In each instance I needed approx 13.6l to top up...therefore there was 3.4l unspent gas. Ergo, assuming 26km/l or 75+mpg, there was approx another 80kms or 50 miles theoretically achievable.
Those were highway miles - probably 60mph max. I'm running 15T c/s, 46T rear, slightly taller rear tire - all this resulting in approx 10% taller gearing. Also these were summer miles. I was also carrying extra weight - side cases, top case, duffle bag etc.
Living here on Vancouver Island and riding year round - colder temperatures - I notice a big difference in mpgs from summer to winter. Cold heavy air @ sea level, cooler engine operating temperature, winter gas - all hamper mpgs - again, my experience.
Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I reset the Trip A odometer at each fill-up and am in the habit of using my cell phone to capture the # of gallons and my mileage. I mostly ride medium speed winding roads, often with my wife as a passenger, though they're interspersed with some highways. My 2019 Versys 650 LT is averaging 53 miles per US gallon. The tank holds 5.5 US gallons. The low fuel (1st E) segment starts flashing when tank reaches approximately 1.5 US gal (5.6 liters). I use 200 miles as a max range before filling up, but there's a lot of buffer left. It should do 250+, but why press it if you don't have to. Here are actual figures. Good luck.

1999 Kawasaki Versys 650
MilesUS GallonsMPG
192.1​
3.652​
52.60​
156.4​
2.813​
55.60​
127.1​
2.298​
55.31​
200.7​
3.687​
54.43​
172.1​
3.293​
52.26​
139.1​
2.569​
54.15​
141.6​
2.969​
47.69​
Average MPG:
53.15​

·
Registered
90 Posts
At 70-80 mph 45 mpg At 60-70 mph 50-56 mpg x 5.5 gallons

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes. I see lots of folks talking about the 650 here even though I referred to the x300 in the original post. In any case it is interesting how good the 650s mileage is all things considered. You'd expect it to get fewer MPGs with a bigger engine, yet the 650 is putting out some pretty solid numbers. Maybe because the engine doesn't have to work as hard and it therefore runs more efficiently? Hard to say.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I usually fill up at 200 - 225 miles. I have gone a little over 300. Average for my 82,000+ miles has been 56 mpg. Best was 62.9 mpg worst was 49.3 mpg.
2009 Blue KLR 650. The blue makes it get better mileage!

·
Super Moderator
19,918 Posts
On my Gen 3 V650 I (believe - memory ONLY!) that I've gone pretty close to 500 kms (aprox 300 miles), but no figures to back-up that memory.

(y)(y)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts