Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
i'm not so sure, there's been so much talk on the forum lately about this crappy bike, apparently, the damn thing falls over all on it's own despite any claimed rider skills.

200 miles of gravel this past week, my riding buddy on 705s, me on 804/805. he rode the same lines i did on and off pavement, and vice versa.
There are plenty of videos on youtube with Harleys riding not only gravel but off road. Does that make them a good off road bike? Or does that mean in the hands of a skilled rider any bike can be made to be ridden off road.

The major difference is if I were to have dropped my KLX250S, or go over the handlebars after hitting the unforeseen ditch in the grass the bike had zero damage without adding any extra protection.

The Versys would have probably been totaled in that tumble since the bike did an endo.

Let's face it. Any car with enough modifications can go where off-road from the factory vehicles can go. Same goes for motorcycles.

But at my age and physical condition I'm not taking a Versys where I am willing to take my Van Van or Himalayan.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
There are plenty of videos on youtube with Harleys riding not only gravel but off road. Does that make them a good off road bike? Or does that mean in the hands of a skilled rider any bike can be made to be ridden off road.

The major difference is if I were to have dropped my KLX250S, or go over the handlebars after hitting the unforeseen ditch in the grass the bike had zero damage without adding any extra protection.

The Versys would have probably been totaled in that tumble since the bike did an endo.

Let's face it. Any car with enough modifications can go where off-road from the factory vehicles can go. Same goes for motorcycles.

But at my age and physical condition I'm not taking a Versys where I am willing to take my Van Van or Himalayan.
same old, same old, same old broken record.

so you endoed your little 250 after running it into a ditch on grass...tell us all what the heck that event has to do with riding a Versys650 on unpaved roads. sorry to hear that you've aged out of the 650, but other owners haven't, and you can find at least some on the gravel on any given day.

go ahead, take that mean little 250 on one of my paved/unpaved combo rides, you and i wouldn't even be in the same county after the first 10 minutes.

you need to take that KLX250 to some KLX forum, put it in some proper context, brag on it over there.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
same old, same old, same old broken record.

so you endoed your little 250 after running it into a ditch on grass...tell us all what the heck that event has to do with riding a Versys650 on unpaved roads. sorry to hear that you've aged out of the 650, but other owners haven't, and you can find at least some on the gravel on any given day.

go ahead, take that mean little 250 on one of my paved/unpaved combo rides, you and i wouldn't even be in the same county after the first 10 minutes.

you need to take that KLX250 to some KLX forum, put it in some proper context, brag on it over there.
No need to be so condescending.

When I endoed my 250 I was running 45 mph on gravel and what I thought was the road in the distance was a driveway when I came over the rise and the road turned sharply to the right. Unfortunately, there was this grass area before the driveway since the drive was one of the Y entrances so they didn't enter in the corner. If I had been on my Versys (which I have ridden down similar roads at a slower pace) I hate to think what would have happened.

My KLX300 can do all the speed limits on every road in the US so I would keep up fine unless you are saying you ride at illegal speeds furthering the negative view most people have of motorcyclists.

So, what you are saying is basically any bike can do what you do with the Versys 650. Got it.

I'll slap some Pirelli MT-60s on my Moto Guzzi when I decide I want to ride with the big boys. At least it has an 18" on the front. LOL!

Let's face it. An expert rider can make any bike work for them. That still doesn't mean it is the best tool for the job.

Oh, and I've seen your builds so you probably aren't riding a stock Versys off road are you.

·
Super Moderator
20,438 Posts
The BEST 'enduro-bike' I ever had was a Can-Am Qualifier 400, ex factory ISDT bike. Around 240 pounds w/ aprox 50 HP, 12" suspension on EACH end. Here's a pic (don't remember if it was an '82 or '84).

Can-Am3 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Yesterday I read a 'review' of the Husky FE501 Enduro bike which REALLY "rings-my-chimes" - 253 pounds wet, w 44.5 HP (CYCLE WORLD test results!) - a modern twin to my Can-Am...!

(y)(y)

:cool:

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
...No need to be so condescending.
no need to be so repetitive...

oh look, there's a KLX300, oh look, there's a KTM, oh look, there's a Suzuki, oh look, there's a Husky, oh look, there's a Honda...this is a Versys 650 forum, rant about that make and model.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
no need to be so repetitive...

oh look, there's a KLX300, oh look, there's a KTM, oh look, there's a Suzuki, oh look, there's a Husky, oh look, there's a Honda...this is a Versys 650 forum, rant about that make and model.
You win jdrocks. You are a winner. You have the bestest motorcycle in the world that can go anywhere you desire. There is nothing out there in the world except the great and mighty Versys that you feel the need to completely change into a different motorcycle to be able to ride where you ride it. Ok. Got it.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
You win jdrocks. You are a winner. You have the bestest motorcycle in the world that can go anywhere you desire. There is nothing out there in the world except the great and mighty Versys that you feel the need to completely change into a different motorcycle to be able to ride where you ride it. Ok. Got it.
why whine, you brought a KLX to a KLE discussion.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
So about those tires...:rolleyes:
tires?...oh yeah.

here's my friend Charles on his 650, stock suspension, OEM 17/17 wheels, knobby tires. we were in the middle of a 150+ mile gravel road run, some rough road conditions in the mix.

we swapped the lead back and forth so that one of us wouldn't be in the dust all day. when i was in the lead on my custom Versys, Charles could have passed me at any time with his stock bike, although our protocols were not to pass on rough ascents and descents, or when a rider was up on the pegs trying to pick a line through the nasty stuff.

we had a bunch of fun, both bikes ran perfectly, and we went home at 80 cruise for 250 miles. 80 must be speeding, sure is, but run the speed limit around here, sooner or later you're going to get run over. the Versys will run 80 all day every day without a blink, OEM stock gearing.

in our primary off pavement riding area, which is very large, you just never know what the road conditions will be, so i'd rather have more tire than less. i guess this would apply to just about any off pavement riding.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
tires?...oh yeah.

here's my friend Charles on his 650, stock suspension, OEM 17/17 wheels, knobby tires. we were in the middle of a 150+ mile gravel road run, some rough road conditions in the mix.

we swapped the lead back and forth so that one of us wouldn't be in the dust all day. when i was in the lead on my custom Versys, Charles could have passed me at any time with his stock bike, although our protocols were not to pass on rough ascents and descents, or when a rider was up on the pegs trying to pick a line through the nasty stuff.

we had a bunch of fun, both bikes ran perfectly, and we went home at 80 cruise for 250 miles. 80 must be speeding, sure is, but run the speed limit around here, sooner or later you're going to get run over. the Versys will run 80 all day every day without a blink, OEM stock gearing.

in our primary off pavement riding area, which is very large, you just never know what the road conditions will be, so i'd rather have more tire than less. i guess this would apply to just about any off pavement riding.
Those are the smoothest groomed gravel roads I have ever seen. Was it embarrassing when you saw the 1990 Saturn heading home from groceries on those roads? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Those are the smoothest groomed gravel roads I have ever seen. Was it embarrassing when you saw the 1990 Saturn heading home from groceries on those roads? :rolleyes:
come on down to my typical riding area, i'll even give you a 20,000 square mile geographical playpen to ride around in, test out those "smoothest groomed gravel roads" on your Versy650. if you really think that's the whole story, you'd be in for one big freakin' surprise. wait, you aged out of that bike, can't do it. you can't run those roads on a Versys anymore, why ramble on about those riders who seek those roads. quit offering advice about activities in which you no longer participate, it's simply not relevant.

thanks for reminding me about finding that Saturn, i hadn't thought about it recently. several years ago, and about 50 miles from the location where Charles' photos were taken, i was inbound on a rough 2-track as the sun got low. the track was already in deep shadow, and i was worried about getting out of there before dark. on a short straight stretch, i see tail lights ahead, WTF, i hadn't expected to find anyone in here. y'all guessed it, the car was a Saturn creeping along the road, elderly couple in front. how or why they got there unknown. they were about 7 miles in from pavement, and wouldn't find pavement ahead for at least 15 miles. there was no room to turn around, and the road ahead was rough, had a dozen switchbacks, and 5 water crossings.

the driver stopped when he saw my headlight, then edged a little left. i sat there for a minute, but no doors opened, no windows came down, so i squeaked by on the right. i suppose i could have stopped, but then i wouldn't be able to get out myself before dark. the track was in a DoD silent zone, no cell coverage, no yelling for help, no nuthin'.

i didn't see any groceries on the back seat, and of course the trunk was closed. it's still possible that they could be returning from a shopping trip, but there were zero houses on this road, and the nearest outlet that could be called a grocery store was about 30 miles away.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
No matter what you say, think, or do, the Kawasaki Versys is designed to be a street bike.

You yourself must have realized that at some point since you heavily modify it to meet your wants.

we can go on forever with me posting videos of Goldwings, Harleys, and even a Suzuki Cavalcade riding in rougher places than you took those bikes. Does that mean they are off road bikes? No, it does not. It just means they have adventurous owners who don’t mind taking their bikes off the beaten path.

·
Super Moderator
20,438 Posts
No matter what you say, think, or do, the Kawasaki Versys is designed to be a street bike.
I DON'T think that is a factual statement, in that, when Kawasaki brought the "Versys" to market, they explained that " 'Versys' means 'Versatile SYStem' !"

·
Registered
2,188 Posts

You yourself must have realized that at some point since you heavily modify it to meet your wants.

we can go on forever with me posting videos of Goldwings, Harleys, and even a Suzuki Cavalcade riding in rougher places than you took those bikes. Does that mean they are off road bikes? No, it does not. It just means they have adventurous owners who don’t mind taking their bikes off the beaten path.
i think i've found the solution that will satisfy you. since the Versys is a street bike, we'll start defining all roads as streets, although the narrative might seem a little odd at times, like...

"I was riding my trusty Versys650 on this damn rough 2-track street, and that's when all the fun started."

see what i mean, it's perfect, i'll make a youtube. it'll be really good, i can get my own channel, monetize the whole thing.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
...Here's a pic (don't remember if it was an '82 or '84)...
i had a bike in '86, very fast for it's day, it could outrun any plow horse in the neighborhood back in 1886. i think the spoke wheels helped, those wooden spokes were very strong. that air down thing hadn't been invented yet, and i was running on high mile iron rims. all the roads were called streets back then, just to avoid confusion, but they invented turnpikes, and now i had a turnpike bike, never figured on that one.

hang in there up in BC, my friend

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
I DON'T think that is a factual statement, in that, when Kawasaki brought the "Versys" to market, they explained that " 'Versys' means 'Versatile SYStem' !"
Yes, and they showed riding in the urban environment. They never have advertised the Versys as an adventure bike. Even today it is in the "Street" category on Kawasaki's website.

Even the V-strom when it first came out was considered a street bike by Suzuki. Riders had other intentions.

Then you have the Triumph Scrambler 900 that "looked" like an off road bike, but was poorly sprung and a pig off road.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
i think i've found the solution that will satisfy you. since the Versys is a street bike, we'll start defining all roads as streets, although the narrative might seem a little odd at times, like...

"I was riding my trusty Versys650 on this damn rough 2-track street, and that's when all the fun started."

see what i mean, it's perfect, i'll make a youtube. it'll be really good, i can get my own channel, monetize the whole thing.
Go for it. The Versys is a street bike. Where you chose to ride it is your choice. It is not just me saying it. Kawasaki has it listed in the "Street" section on their website.

I'm glad you have the skills and ability to take a bike beyond its design limitations. I did too when I had my Versys, but my buddy was right alongside me on his ZZR 600.

So, does this prove that the ZZR600 is an adventure bike, or that two street bikes can be taken on an adventure.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Don't get my intent wrong. I loved my Versys 650 and always told people that if I could only have one bike the Versys would be it. I'm just calling it what it is.

Today 10 years later, there are so many Adventure bikes on the market that are actually designed and advertised as being able to take you anywhere. The Versys is not one of those bikes.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
^^^^^^^

this is all very entertaining, if not informative, but we need to see more photos of the tires on that bike, the one you don't ride anymore. BigFatJam might need the info for his street riding.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts