Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many times have you been caught out on the motorcycle by unexpected snow? For me, the answer is three. I know, I know. You'd think once would be enough to learn.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I went riding with my brother in the snow on DRZ400's a few years back and it was a load of interesting fun. But I've never had the not very pleasure of doing it on a road bike. I stay far from the Alpine regions during winter.

·
Premium Member
16,110 Posts
Didn't get a lot of snow in texas mostly ice. Got caught out a few times and it wasn't pretty.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Once in Vermont, once in New Jersey, neither time enough to make me stop, just slow down.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
During my "growing up on dirt bike" days, I didn't get "caught" in it as much as just plain didn't care if it snowed.
as for street bikes, I few times many years ago when I rode my CB550 to high school.
I got caught in an honest to goodness snow storm, ice storm, white out, back in 85 on a solo trip to Frenzo, crossing the mountains somewhere around Big Bear in the middle of the night on a Honda VF700. That was pretty hairy.
I got caught last winter and a couple of weeks ago at work. Just a few flurries, it wasn't sticking on the road yet.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Twice unintentionally on the street. Once in March when I rode to the BRP and once in October on a trip when the rain turned to snow high up. The French onion soup at the Pisgah Inn was a great way to warm the heart and hands. Like others, as a youth with a dirtbike it was definitely intentional. :yeahsmile:

·
Registered
774 Posts
I ride snow all the time on my dirtbikes. Everything close to me is snowed in from December through March so you get used to it.

I've been caught in snow twice on the Versys. Got it on my third and forth day of owning the bike. Those were also my third and forth days of riding a street bike.:badidea:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mediterranean weather here so. no. Only on the Mountain range called "Serra da Estrela" (6539 feet) during winter, but I've never gone there with my bike.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Never been caught out in the snow. I go riding in it. hehe

With the help of my "snow tires". Ok so they're racing rain tires, but still do great in snow :)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I live in a apt in the winter for my job. I dont have a garage at the apt so the V gets stored in my garage back home. The past couple years though I have brouhht the bike up in my enclosed trailer for the last month of winter for some clear day rides. But i do not take it out when it may snow. Sand covered roads are scary enough for me.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
764 Posts
i ride in the snow all the time, i did it today, the roads are usually cleared pretty nice around here but I check the weather enough to know when I need to leave work early enough.

I always say that a guy who rides his motorcycle everyday is way more reliable then a weather man, because he checks several sources everyday before going out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts