Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have 2012 V 1000 and I am curious if it is normal to be that hard to turn over. I used torque wrench and with 27 Nm it turned but not less. I just replaced the head and the bike runs nice, no aditional noises a think but didnt make a video before change so have nothing to compare with. I just want to make sure that everythin is sound befor riding season.
Thank for any help.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Have you done a compression check after the work?
Have you checked all the valve clearances after the work?
Are you rotating the engine with the spark plugs installed or removed?
Does the service manual provide any useful information regarding how many Nm required to rotate the engine?

IMO, if it starts easily, runs smoothly, has good compression, and valve clearances are within range, I would just go through the break in drills and do an inspection of the oil and spark plugs after a few hundred miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you done a compression check after the work?
Have you checked all the valve clearances after the work?
Are you rotating the engine with the spark plugs installed or removed?
Does the service manual provide any useful information regarding how many Nm required to rotate the engine?

IMO, if it starts easily, runs smoothly, has good compression, and valve clearances are within range, I would just go through the break in drills and do an inspection of the oil and spark plugs after a few hundred miles.
Thanks for the answer. I dont have the tools to check compression, but before the job it was good. The valves are all in spec with two intakes on the low limit with .15 mm on them. I will adress this in a week or so and change the shims a size.

I do rotate the engine with plugs and could not find any info about how much torq is ok to turn over.
Also there is a new oil and new plugs in the bike, I changed them this winter. Oil is Motul V300 so should be the best.

·
Super Moderator
19,913 Posts
I do rotate the engine with plugs and could not find any info about how much torq is ok to turn over.
THAT is your problem - you're turning against VERY HIGH compression ratio...!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also here is the sound of the bike. I think it sounds ok. Would fancy other oppinions.
The clicking noise comes from injectors.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the story is. I brought the V to shop for valves and other servis. They found that one of the cam was a bit seased, well was grinding but the bike rode fine. So they polished it and put together and i went online to shop for used head and then changed it. I feel pretty good about the job did every step thats In manual. I am just trying to find other oppinions so I dont have to fear when I ride.
I agree that it would be best to have a bike to compare the noise with but i dont have anything.

Also the used head is from versys with 20k km.

·
Super Moderator
19,913 Posts
So it is hard to turn over because the sparks are in ?? So there should be no problem and next time I should take the plugs out before turning the engine ?
YES - then It will turn over EASILY.

:cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
YES - then It will turn over EASILY.

:cool:
OK thank you for your time and answer :) I was worried that I messed something even going by the manual. The bike for a while made cam chain noises when a reinstall everything but guess the tensioner needed time to expand when the engine heated.

Nevertheless I will try to borrow compression tester if not buy it and do a compression check, check the sparks and do the intake valves that are at the limit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts