Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that some members here speak about changing oil every 5k (miles?). It seems that oil at the point would be quite black. I am a bit anal in this matter and change oil every 3k km. And I wonder whether it is beneficial for the longevity of the engine or not?

·
Administrator
8,308 Posts
Oil interval @ 3K is surely beneficial for the longevity of the engine as its still within the service interval . I drop every 4k km and my Versys has been in tip top condition since 09.

·
Registered
912 Posts
There is no harm except to your wallet and schedule...
I follow the 12'000 km instruction. No issue.
This is not a ktm, snowblower or some other 25h engine...
The engineers are actually protecting themselves by asking you to change every 12'000km.
So it can go longer.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
12k km seems like awfully a lot. looking at my magnetic oil plug, even after 3k I see metal shavings attached to it. because I have several bikes so it does not feel like I change the oil so often, and I like changing oil; it gives me pleasure seeing that the engine gets new fresh blood. but maybe it is overkill, i don't know. I wonder if there were any studies about how the length of the intervals in changing the oil would affect the longevity of the engine. I guess it is difficult to draw a clear conclusion because there are so many variables, like riding style, etc... by the way, I change the oil filter every second time.

·
Administrator
8,308 Posts
Like you said , there are many variables like if you take long ride every week then replaceing oil at short interval will be good , but if your ride are short then oil change can be streach a bit,

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
12k km seems like awfully a lot. looking at my magnetic oil plug, even after 3k I see metal shavings attached to it. because I have several bikes so it does not feel like I change the oil so often, and I like changing oil; it gives me pleasure seeing that the engine gets new fresh blood. but maybe it is overkill, i don't know. I wonder if there were any studies about how the length of the intervals in changing the oil would affect the longevity of the engine. I guess it is difficult to draw a clear conclusion because there are so many variables, like riding style, etc... by the way, I change the oil filter every second time.
Maybe you need a better oil filter if you change that often and still see metal shavings.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Kawi says 12,000 I think, I do 10,000. Cant hurt to do shorter intervals if that makes you feel better. I use the larger filter to carry a bit more oil and make sure the oil level is filled to the top line on the view port. I havent used a magnetic drain plug but I like the science behind it.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kawi says 12,000 I think, I do 10,000. Cant hurt to do shorter intervals if that makes you feel better. I use the larger filter to carry a bit more oil and make sure the oil level is filled to the top line on the view port. I havent used a magnetic drain plug but I like the science behind it.
I was wondering about this issue of overfilling the engine. isn't there a danger if blowing the seals?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Top line on the glass. Using a larger oil filter is something you will have to research yourself. Many folks do it to help with cooling the engine and in our case , particularly the stator which gets a lot of work.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I was wondering about this issue of overfilling the engine. isn't there a danger if blowing the seals?
Danger = connecting rod turning your oil into an air-oil emulsion, fails to be pumped then hell breaks loose.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Every 6000 km I go to an authorized kawasaki service. Service guy use Motorex Formula 15W50 semi synthetic.

Kawasaki manual say every 12 000km.
Service more frequently when operating in severe conditions: dusty, wet, muddy, high speed,or frequent starting/stopping.

·
Super Moderator
20,641 Posts
Filling the oil to the TOP line is NOT overfilling it.

Going ABOVE that line IS!

I change oil/filter at either 5,000 miles (my AZ V650), or at 8,000 kms (my BC V650), and use Mobil1 15w-50 SYNTHETIC, and have for about 192 THOUSAND MILES among my three V650s...!

(y)(y)(y)

:cool:

·
Super Moderator
20,641 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Maybe I should try some 15w-50... I would go the 7500miles if the bike "would let me" / I felt comfortable doing so. This coming from someone who changes their oil at intervals extended longer than OM spec on cars/trucks. Problem is my bike exhibits really hard shifting at just over 2500 miles on the oil like clockwork so that's when I change it. I started the using MC specific fully synthetic when my '09 was new to me but since it was needing to be changed sooner than spec I switched to the RotellaT and it performs just as well since neither were getting me to 7500mi so I have just been running cheaper oil changed more frequently since the expensive oil wasn't getting me more time...

How cold of ambient temps are you 15w-50 guys running that? I ride a lot even down at freezing temp, but haven't riden much below it yet.

To clarify I'm confident and feel comfortable running the engine the whole 7500mi without changing, it's the transmission that I worry about since they share oil. I think the oil seems to be thinning out too much after 2500mi to continue protecting the gears. Gears have a high pressure low surface speed along the teeth. Engine components have high velocity to give the oil films more ability to protect the surfaces.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
If I lived in cold climate, I would run 10w40. Where I live now, in Thailand, is really hot so I run 15w50. I guess 20W50 would be alright too. Higher viscosity oils are more protective, but they may cause higher fuel consumption as they bike has to make more effort to distribute the thick oil through all that tight clearance spaces in a modern bike. The older bikes or Harley (air cooled) use 20w50. I run mostly Motul fully synthetic. Some say that Mobil is not fully synthetic, I don't know. Someone wrote:
"I called Mobil about this years ago. They admitted it is not 100% synthetic. I asked them why they label it as synthetic when it in fact is a blend. My call was escaleted to research department, then I was transfered to a Tech. The Tech's response was, "We only label it that way in the USA.", don't you love how America Regulates Oil Companies."

The observation that the shifting becomes harder after a while should be taken under consideration. This means that the oil is loosing some of its protective properties after several k. It would be interesting to check the oil in some lab.

I personally think that changing the oil according to manufacturer recommendations is unreasonable. The oil is thick, black and looks like crap. I would never run such thing in my bike. The fact that one can have a high millage on a bike while rarely changing the oil is not a decisive argument...

By the way, I heard somewhere that the reason why manufactures suggest such long intervals is due to them competing between each other to provide the lowest cost of ownership.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts