Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only gone 10 miles once the light starts flashing...how far can I expect to go? Power Commander with fatter map than stock....I'm gonna guess 20 miles...how far have you gone on your V?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I've gone another 20 miles and still only got 4.5 gallons in at fill-up. I expect the V's gas gauge is like most I've encountered on motorcycles -- pessimistic. Better to think you have less than you actually have, I suppose.

·
Registered
575 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
It's not a great idea to run the tank dry because the fuel pump is lubricated and cooled by the fuel flowing through it. It can result in shortened pump life.

·
Registered
959 Posts
for me it was 20 miles and that was more than enough.. put in approximately 20 litres into a tank that nominally holds 19 litres

·
Registered
221 Posts
I got caught in the middle of Wyoming by a bad decision. I put 47 miles on the flasher before I found gas. Tank took 5.18 gallons. It was the worst part of the trip. I was bucking a head wind, doing about 55 and laying on the tank but I couldn't even coast down hill because of the wind.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that is extremely good to know, that 40+ miles is possible on empty...glad you didn't run dry, Hipshot.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Depending on how the fuel pump is oriented in the tank, you probably aren't doing it any good if you let the level drop too low. A submerged pump relies on the fuel to keep the motor cool. I just tank up when it gets down to 1 bar.

·
Registered
83 Posts
i've gone about 30 and i filled up about 4.6 gallons. that is about as low as i care to go as i have the flashing light come on and i only had .4 gallons left as well. its a little inconsistent that is for sure. if it starts flashing start to look for gas.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yeah I can second the 40+ miles while flashing. Not exactly sure how far past 40 miles I went, hell I can ride that far with a turn signal indicator on....I almost never look down. I was following someone and couldn't stop. I think it took about 4.7-4.8 gallons when I filled up, but I was doing freeway speeds of 55-70 while it was flashing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This brings to mind a question I've had for a while. When filling the tank with bike leaning on kickstand there is an obvious void remaining on the upper right side of the tank but the warning label says not to fill the neck. I can't imagine holding the bike upright in one hand and trying to pump gas with the other so as to get the whole tank full. What am I missing?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Owners manual (p.39) states that 3.5L or 0.9 US gal remains once the fuel light starts flashing. On the last fuel block 5.0L or 1.3 gal remains. Today I probably did about 30 miles or so, not sure exactly, and filled 4.673 gal. It is the most I have put into the tank and could have been a bit overfilled. The gas was just coming through the bottom of the filler neck. According to the manual this is overfilled, but it is pretty cool temperature wise so I wasn't too concerned. However, I am a noob, so any thoughts you have would be appreciated. How full do you all normally go?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts