Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've been perusing this forum for a few months after I decided I wanted to get a Versys as my next bike. I had an 03 SV650 as my first bike and I miss it alot, so much fun and am tempted to get another one but want to upgrade in comfort.

But as the title says, I've always thought the BMW R1150RS was a fine example of sport touring. I've eyed a few on ebay and could probably found a good used one for about the same price as a new Versys. Can anyone compare/contrast the bikes for me as I have never ridden either. I am 6'3'' and have long legs and have sat on an 09 Versys at stores and it felt awesome, very tall bike. Obviously I know the 1150 would rock the V on power and brakes etc because its higher shelf but what can anyone tell me that isn't obvious? Thanks.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hey all, I've been perusing this forum for a few months after I decided I wanted to get a Versys as my next bike. I had an 03 SV650 as my first bike and I miss it alot, so much fun and am tempted to get another one but want to upgrade in comfort.

But as the title says, I've always thought the BMW R1150RS was a fine example of sport touring. I've eyed a few on ebay and could probably found a good used one for about the same price as a new Versys. Can anyone compare/contrast the bikes for me as I have never ridden either. I am 6'3'' and have long legs and have sat on an 09 Versys at stores and it felt awesome, very tall bike. Obviously I know the 1150 would rock the V on power and brakes etc because its higher shelf but what can anyone tell me that isn't obvious? Thanks.
The comfort part may take some work. Lots of us are still tweaking that aspect of this bike, the seat in particular. For things that aren't obvious, the obvious one is maintenance. The Versys has proven to be, for the vast majority of riders it seems, an extremely reliable bike. BMW has a rep for being high maintenance, and expensive when said maintenance happens. That said, if you can swallow that potential pill, pick which one you like better! Love my V, but still hear that ST3 calling my name...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm not so sure that the 1150RS would out-accelerate the V. I ride with a guy running a BMW 1100, and he's not as quick. His low-end is very good, but as the revs climb, I'm going around him.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I haven't owned the R1150RS but did own a 2000 R1100RS - same bike but a weee bit less cc. I put about 30,000 miles on the RS - difference: the riding position - the RS is a very lean forward - lots of people say very uncomfortable. With the BMW R1100RS I had to cock my head back to see forward - Full Face helmet - "uncomfortable" - the RS is not a (Duel Sport). Top speed on the RS should be 115 + Drive Shaft vs Chain - Versys is smother.
Seat on both about the same. :topsecret: MPG on the BMW about 42 mpg @70 mph

·
Registered
56 Posts
Where the Versys scores points in that it is so well balanced. It does everything well. I occasionally cast a covetous eye on Ducatis or Triumphs but there is always something the Versys does better that I won't do without. Price, Reliability, over 200 mile range, under 400lb, ease of maintenance, and all around performance.

·
Registered
409 Posts
It's been years since I've ridden an R1150__, and then it was a GS and an RT, not the RS. I have ridden the R1200RS, which I didn't like a lot.

I also have to say that I don't think the R1150RS is going to be faster than the Versys. It makes more power but it is heavier. It is also much more complicated. Some of the 1150s had surging problems that drove their owners crazy. I know several people who have suffered the infamous final-drive failure, too. Would this particular RS you're looking at happen to have the BMW power-assisted brakes? I personally thought that was one of the stupidest BMW ideas ever. Who needs power brakes on a bike? I know someone who had the R1150RT with the linked power-assisted brakes and when they needed bleeding, the bill at the dealership ran into hundreds of dollars, because the miles of plumbing is so extensive.

I'm not all negative on BMWs, especially the boxers, but don't be blinded by the roundel. You're paying a premium and it's debatable whether you're getting more quality for your money, or just more complexity and weird engineering. All JMHO.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Response

Would this particular RS you're looking at happen to have the BMW power-assisted brakes?
No it was either the late 90s 1100s or early 2000 1150s. Thanks for all the input, being 6'3'' would likely really strain me on the Beemer, likely I'd need a 1150GS Adventure but not into that money or modus operandi. Now to decide to try and find a 2009 or wait a little till this winter to nab a 2010.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The 1150 Boxer is a much heavier bike. Try 125+ lbs heavier. It's a whole different class. It'd probably be as quick if not quicker in a straight line but the V would be much more manageable around town. If you don't find the seat-to-peg distance too short on the Versys and you don't ride two-up all the time then I'd go for the V. Get a used V, even better…

1 - 9 of 9 Posts