Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How do you remove head light from a 2011 Versys?

I've seen video of other bikes and they generally just stick there hand behind it and pull out the bulb. I tried doing this with my Versys to no avail. Can anyone help? I'm trying to put in an h7 bulb from walmart

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Hi Desi, see page 16-53 of the manual:
(Note: See manual for photo illustrations)
ELECTRICAL SYSTEM 16-53
Lighting System
This motorcycle adopt the daylight system and have a headlight relay in the relay box. The headlight does not go on when the ignition switch and the engine stop switch are first turned on. The headlight comes on after the starter button is released and stays on until the ignition switch is turned off. The headlight will go out momentarily whenever the starter button is pressed and come back on when the button is released.
Headlight Beam Horizontal Adjustment
•Refer to the Headlight Aiming Inspection in the Periodic Maintenance chapter.
Headlight Beam Vertical Adjustment
•Refer to the Headlight Aiming Inspection in the Periodic Maintenance chapter.
Headlight Bulb Replacement
• Remove:
Headlight Assy (see Headlight Removal/Installation) Headlight Bulb Dust Cover [A]
• Remove: Hook [A]
Headlight Bulb
NOTICE
When handling the quartz-halogen bulb, never touch the glass portion with bare hands. Always use a clean cloth. Oil contamination from hands or dirty rags can reduce bulb life or cause the bulb to explode.
NOTE
○Clean off any contamination that inadvertently gets on the bulb with alcohol or soap and water solution.
•Replace the headlight bulb.
•Fit the projection [A] of the bulb in the hollow of the
headlight.
•Install the hook [C].
16-54 ELECTRICAL SYSTEM Lighting System
•Fit the dust cover [A] onto the bulb firmly as shown. Good [C]
Bad [D]
•After installation, adjust the headlight aim (see Headlight
Aiming Inspection in the Periodic Maintenance chapter). ○Other Bulb: Repeat the above steps.
City Light Bulb Replacement
•Remove the headlight (see Headlight Removal/Installa- tion).
•Pull out the socket [A] together with the bulb.
•Pull the bulb [A] out of the socket.
•Replace the bulb with a new one.
Headlight Cover Removal
• Remove:
Upper Fairing (see Upper Fairing Removal in the Frame chapter)
Screws [A]
•Clear the hook portions .
○Insert the hook portions [A] of the left and right into the ribs .
•Tighten the screws.

NOTICE
Do not turn the bulb. Pull the bulb out to prevent damage to the bulb. Do not use bulb rated for greater wattage then the specified valve.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Yeah.. I did this the other day... those directions suck. Took me 2.5 hours to change out a freaking bulb. I wasn't a happy camper that day.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
You don't have to remove the headlight. There's room enough to change a bulb. It's a little tight, but it can be done with either bulb.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Yes, I've done it and took me a few hours, took a day off and came back with vengence. It is so freaking tight, and it seems like the reflector cup will break from the tugging and pulling.

Well, the trick I found was to use WD-40 on the socket. Read carefully now on how to get WD-40 on the right spot. The electrical connection is a 'blade' type on the bulb side and the socket side has 'C' profile. This 'C' clamps is really tight on the connection. The socket has a 'door' with a hinge at its rear. Open it, and spray WD-40 inside it, let soak for a few seconds. Aim for the 'C' and blades. Now apply that Hulk strength and it should come off easier.

Yes, it is correct, there is no need to remove the headlamp off the bike. I could reach both bulbs to have them removed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts