Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much squinting I have decided it is vertually impossible. There is coolant in there because it shows wet if I poke a stick down there. But I cannot discern a level if I inspect according to the manual.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hold a small, bright flashlight inside the fairing and view the level outside the bike. It works better in low light as it is hard to see......as you have found out.

·
Registered
2019 Versys x300
37 Posts
Shine the light from behind from few angles. It might not be a perfect reading if you are doing it by yourself, but it's good enough.
I hear you tho...it should be much easier, like headlamp replacement or changing the spark plugs lol

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought the coolant mught be yellow which would make the level hard to see but it is green so that means I don't have to change to green.

·
Super Moderator
19,913 Posts
I marked the levels on my V650s w/ a "black" marker to make them easier to see.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you can't see it with a flashlight you should stop riding it take the cowling off and check the coolant... You might be out.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Never done this before for this purpose but... Just had an idea... Maybe you could put the leak detection UV dye in the coolant and buy a blacklight flashlight? I'm sure the whole tank would probably glow a little but I bet the fluid itself would light up even more.

Before anyone says something, yes you can leave the dye in (of course be sure to use the correct amount), no it won't damage anything.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will simply change to dark green/blue coolant and see what happens. Or a pinch of dark green food colouring

·
Super Moderator
19,913 Posts
...Or a pinch of dark green food colouring
I would NOT suggest that is a good idea. You (and I) have NO idea as to whether or not food dyes are compatible w/ the Versys cooling systems!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But conversely, we have NO idea as to whether food dyes are compatible w/ the Versys cooling systems! Water soluble they are for sure and extremely concentrated so a drop or two into the tank not into the cooling system per se.

Still on the hunt for a darker coloured coolant.

·
Registered
19 Posts
@waspmike - Given that Thailand isn't known for its winter freezes, are you using distilled water as coolant? I have no trouble seeing the colored coolant in my 2019 - looking over the fuel tank / under the handlebar. If I try looking through the front cowl the way the owners manual says, it's near impossible to see the overflow tank at all. Strange that Kawi put the markings where one can't see them when there's such a clean line of site from the side. I can reach my finger around and feel the raised lines on the front but will definitely will have to pull out a black marker down the line. Have a Happy Christmas and a great new year!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I have no trouble seeing the colored coolant in my 2019 - looking over the fuel tank / under the handlebar.
(y)I'll give that a try when the sun is right. Then I will wrestle and try to draw a line myself.

Edit: The stars have aligned. The bike on centre stand, rested a flashlight on top of the tank and rocked the bike a bit, and managed to see some movement. I am right on the full mark.
All sorted. thanks all.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It definitely is not easy to see. The only time I have been really sure myself was after taking the fairing off...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts