Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. I just washed my bike but I can't get the left side of the rear wheel clean. Any ideas? Goo-Be-Gone?

Thank you,

Choppastyle

·
Premium Member
16,153 Posts
I use Goop Hand Cleaner and some paper shop towels

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Simple green spray bottle, and a sponge/tooth brush.

·
Premium Member
16,153 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Title says it all. I just washed my bike but I can't get the left side of the rear wheel clean. Any ideas? Goo-Be-Gone?

Thank you,

Choppastyle
Remove any globs with a paper towel. WD40 will do the rest, either spray a paper towel or rag, then wipe it off. When all clean, I usually use a clean rag to remove WD40 residue - it can attract dust.

·
Registered
123 Posts
S-100 is the only thing I use to clean my bike. This stuff works better than anything else I've tried in the last 25 years. It's biodegradeable and takes care of all the road grime and bugs with little to no fuss.

I also use Dupont teflon spray to keep my chain plates and orings lubed. It works great and dries to a film that doesn't fly off. It also won't make a mess out of your rear wheel. It can be bought at any Lowes for $5 a can. The people over at ADVrider swear by this stuff and now I see why.

·
Registered
293 Posts
If we are talking about cleaning the chain -- I use PJ1 Super Cleaner... Amazing stuff!

I also spray down the side of the exhaust that is up against the chain, cleans that off with ZERO effort.. litterally just spray.. You dont even need to scrub!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
kerosene is fine. Paint thinner easier to come by, or prep-sol.

If you have that much on there you're probably over-lubing the chain. O-ring chains need very little lube, some use 80-90 gear oil but it's messy.

WD also works for cleaning but some say it seeps past the o-rings and washes out the grease in the rollers. I've been using it for years and never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Simple Green and a rag. I use Chain Wax and if you are carefull when you spray it on and DON'T go overboard when using it it stays ON the chain. I'd be a bit worried about anything oily near the tires.

Now HOW do you keep the bugs off your visor so you can see when riding?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Beware of simple green, it attacks aluminum. It was used by the air force for cleaning helicopter parts when it first came out. But they found it was causing corrosion, obviously corrosion on a V is not as critical as a chopper, but keep away from it in my view. My 10c

Machog

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Now HOW do you keep the bugs off your visor so you can see when riding?
I keep a small spray bottle of soapy water and a soft rag in my top case

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
If you have that much grease on your rear wheel, could be you're using more chain lube than you need.

Chain lube threads are like oil threads, but I like the DuPont Teflon wax lubricant. Clean, effective and much less crud on your wheel. Also comes in a small squeeze bottle that's handy for lubing the chain on a long trip.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Cleaning the rear wheel? I use dish detergents and rags. But sometimes i wonder if degreaser would make the job easier..

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I switched to using Maxima Chain Wax because it makes less mess and seems to adhere better than the typical Chain grease. Dupont Teflon chain lube gets good recommendations too.

I find kerosene or diesel fuel works well as a chain cleaner and rim cleaner used with paper towels but you will need to follow up with detergent and water to remove any residue from the rim and tire after.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts