Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to put the factory windshield back on and it looks like crap, all hazy. I tried a plastic polish, Novus #2 but there are still some scratches in it, not deep just swirls from washing I guess. Any ideas or tricks here.

My Givi is nowhere near as hard to take care of I guess Ma Kawasaki is using really cheap plastic. I have the same deal on my KLR but it didn't bother me that the screen was a bit beat up on the Pig. BUT the V is to nice NOT to take care of.

·
Super Moderator
19,152 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
I would suggest a headlight restore kit since they are the same material. On the other hand removing scratches from a plastic windshield is a loosing battle. I've never had a windshield or helmet visor that did not accumulate a few scratches.

·
Registered
154 Posts
scratches

I have used the "Mothers Kit" for polycarbonate headlights with great success, got it at Advance.
Read directions and take your time I believe it would work. I would first find a small place inconspicuous to try it on.
What it intails for heavy scratches are successively finer grits of emeroy pads, then culminates with the polish and a special sponge tip that fits in a hand drill. I was amazed at the results I got. But it takes some time, you have to be patient.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I’ve never found anything that works to remove the scratches and swirls. Many years ago I learned that the swirls and cloudy/foggy appearance is caused by using cleaners with ammonia in them (e.g. Windex, Glass Plus, etc.). Apparently there's a coating that the ammonia disintegrates and exposes a softer plastic that scars when being cleaned. I only use a little dish soap and water on screens and shields.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts