Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
A couple nights ago we had -23 with a wind chill at -34. My boys and I went outside to blow bubbles, the results were pretty cool. Most of them froze in the air then fell to the ground and rolled all over the place.

·
Registered
71 Posts
A couple nights ago we had -23 with a wind chill at -34. My boys and I went outside to blow bubbles, the results were pretty cool. Most of them froze in the air then fell to the ground and rolled all over the place.
As cool as that it, you can't ride in it, so I hate it. Travelled a good part of the world, and still can't figure out why I settled in SW Ontario.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
As cool as that it, you can't ride in it, so I hate it. Travelled a good part of the world, and still can't figure out why I settled in SW Ontario.
Ditto. If it were not for so many factors (work, money, family members who need my help, money, money) I would move to BC coast or Vancouver Island.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,997 Posts
Yes it is always liked that one! I would have tried it in my youth, not now. LOL
I USED to ice-race, but now in my "elderly" years I STILL ride all winter....

'Course I do it in Arizona.

:clap:

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Here's a link to a video where a guy rode his KLR from Owen Sound, Ontario to Ft Severn on Hudson's Bay... IN WINTER!

http://www.northernontario.travel/motorcycle-touring/oscar-bognor-brokentooth-motorcycle-winter-fort-severn

It's one helluva story.
Here is an even more unbelievable feat that I followed a few years ago:

"Steve Becraft's historic winter motorcycle ride across Canada Jan/Feb 2010.
Steve did a 14,385 KM return trip from Sooke B.C. to Cartwright Labrador on his BMW Motorcycle, a feat never before accomplished by anyone."

Insane! We build them tough here in Canada.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=554785

·
Super Moderator
18,997 Posts
Here is an even more unbelievable feat that I followed a few years ago:

"Steve Becraft's historic winter motorcycle ride across Canada Jan/Feb 2010.
Steve did a 14,385 KM return trip from Sooke B.C. to Cartwright Labrador on his BMW Motorcycle, a feat never before accomplished by anyone."

Insane! We build them tough here in Canada....
My brother was offered a job in Ottawa (we lived in Edmonton, Alberta) during the winter of '66 - '67. As his ONLY set of 'wheels' was a Suzuki X6 Hustler, a 250cc two-stroke, he rode the 2196 miles (MapQuest check...) across Canada on it DURING THAT WINTER!!!

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
My brother was offered a job in Ottawa (we lived in Edmonton, Alberta) during the winter of '66 - '67. As his ONLY set of 'wheels' was a Suzuki X6 Hustler, a 250cc two-stroke, he rode the 2196 miles (MapQuest check...) across Canada on it DURING THAT WINTER!!!

I would equate that to going over Niagara Falls in a barrel. Roads here in Ottawa, and I imagine Edmonton too, are completely covered by a layer of packed snow and ice part of the winter, and even the Trans Canada highway is during snow storms. I would imagine snow removal was a lot less efficient 50 years ago than it is today and motorcycle apparel was not as developed either as synthetic materials and heated gear were not yet common place. I don't think they even started applying road salt until the 1970's. As anyone who snowmobiles can appreciate, riding in winter and simultaneously exposing yourself to cold temps and high winds - without a FF helmet, a full suit and heavy felt lined boots, balaclava and heavy mitts gives you instant frost bite and hypothermia.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts