Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question may have been asked already, but I'll ask none the less... I apologize if redundant. Has anyone measured the accuracy of the speedo on our V's with the stock tires and sprockets? I have yet to attach my TomTom gps and see. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
16,056 Posts
I can't remember what it was with stock front sprocket but with a 16T front sprocket the speedo is off by 1 mph. So if the speedo reads 55 the GPS reads 54.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't remember what it was with stock front sprocket but with a 16T front sprocket the speedo is off by 1 mph. So if the speedo reads 55 the GPS reads 54.
How does changing to 16T front sprocket affect the torque and the shifting? Is 1st gear longer, less punchy?

I did a front sprocket swap from 15T to 16T on my previous bike, and after the swap, 1st was longer and it shifted smoother.

·
Super Moderator
16,056 Posts
First gear is longer. Running at 70mph the rpm's are down by 500. Not searching for a 7th gear. Bike is still quick but not as quick as stock.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
How does changing to 16T front sprocket affect the torque and the shifting? Is 1st gear longer, less punchy?

I did a front sprocket swap from 15T to 16T on my previous bike, and after the swap, 1st was longer and it shifted smoother.
I've made the switch to 16T and yes, 1st is longer and it shifts more smoothly, not looking for 7th. I think the bike is happier with these ratios. And the bike's speedo is just about spot-on with the GPS speedo now.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Super Moderator
16,056 Posts
Stock is a 15T......I just ordered an OEM for a 2009 Ninja 650r. Its an Rubber Mounted 16T Sprocket

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
Stock is a 15T......I just ordered an OEM for a 2009 Ninja 650r. Its an Rubber Mounted 16T Sprocket
Versys OEM 15T and Ninja 650R OEM 16T are actually rubber damped. The sprocket is still solid steel, but with a rubber damper bonded on both sides... There is however a rear hub shock damper, effectively making the rear sprocket "rubber mounted".

·
Super Moderator
16,056 Posts
Versys OEM 15T and Ninja 650R OEM 16T are actually rubber damped. The sprocket is still solid steel, but with a rubber damper bonded on both sides... There is however a rear hub shock damper, effectively making the rear sprocket "rubber mounted".

Thanks Invader...I meant rubber dampened.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
versys oem 15t and ninja 650r oem 16t are actually rubber damped. The sprocket is still solid steel, but with a rubber damper bonded on both sides... There is however a rear hub shock damper, effectively making the rear sprocket "rubber mounted".
thank you all... Next mod 16t front spocket! Will post after install and first ride.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was pleasantly surprised to find my all stock 2012 reads 63 MPH at 60.
I was getting approx. the same on the interstate this a.m. going to work... the speedo is faster by between 3-5 mph depending on the slope of the road. On a leveled straight away, speedo and tomtom gps are very close to each other, +/- 1mph.

·
Super Moderator
16,056 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts