Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In regards to alignment after chain adjustments. The owners manual and I believe the service manual both say to use the marks or the "string method." Granted, I'm not totally sure what the string method is, but I assume there is a measurement you can do between the nuts and the hinge point on the swingarm

I used the marks last time, but are those marks the best way to align?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
The marks are not very accurate.

The "string method" aligns the rear wheel with the front wheel not the swing arm pivot. The "string" can be just about anything that is straight. Over the years I have found the most convenient "string" to be two 8' fluorescent tubes attached to the rear wheel with a couple of big rubber bands, one in front of the rear wheel and one behind. Center the front wheel between the tubes.

·
Premium Member
16,219 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info....turns out I had alignment ability the whole time in the form of a laser

image hosting no registration

free photo hosting

If all I have to do is align the sprocket with the chain then this should work out fine. Wasn't using the laser on my circular saw, and it displays a nice line, so I attached it to an old tripod. Of course, I have to do it in low light, and as I adjust the nuts I have to keep adjusting the tripod but it should be a true adjustment

What do you all think?

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Axle nut marks accuracy varies... Adjustment marks on swingarm are exactly 5mm apart. My axle's right side has to be about 2.5mm ahead of left side's adjustment reference mark to be properly aligned.

·
Super Moderator
19,606 Posts
...I used the marks last time, but are those marks the best way to align?
Nope.

Here are pics of the "marks" on my '08 AFTER aligning w/ the Motion Pro tool.

There's a pretty large disparity, side-to-side.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Nope.

Here are pics of the "marks" on my '08 AFTER aligning w/ the Motion Pro tool.

There's a pretty large disparity, side-to-side.
Your camera's reference angle is a bit more off on the left side, but it looks like yours is about 0.4 of the distance between 2 lines (2mm) ahead on the right side. My error is in the same direction, at about 0.5 of the distance between 2 lines (2.5mm)... So my rear wheel was about 0.5 degree toe to the right with axle marks aligned. :eek:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Your camera's reference angle is a bit more off on the left side, but it looks like yours is about 0.4 of the distance between 2 lines (2mm) ahead on the right side. My error is in the same direction, at about 0.5 of the distance between 2 lines (2.5mm)... So my rear wheel was about 0.5 degree toe to the right with axle marks aligned. :eek:
Yep- Same here. Used the axle marks, and found a noticeable front wheel shake. Got the motion pro and now it tracks perfectly straight, but the axle marks don't quite agree... :confused:

·
Super Moderator
19,606 Posts
here are the axle 'lines' on my '09. As you can see - one is about 1.8 "units" while the other is 2.5.

Not even CLOSE!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,209 Posts
here are the axle 'lines' on my '09. As you can see - one is about 1.8 "units" while the other is 2.5.

Not even CLOSE!
Well I am currious as to how you lined up the wheel. My method wouldn't work as I measure the distance using verniers of the adjusting bolt, inside measurement, then match both sides at the same distance.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Well I am currious as to how you lined up the wheel. My method wouldn't work as I measure the distance using verniers of the adjusting bolt, inside measurement, then match both sides at the same distance.
You have to make a choice between aligning the 2 sproket or the 2 wheel

Then, if you choose the sprocket alingment, you have give priority to the straightness of the chain, not the poistion of axle mark

It cannot be expected that both side of the rear swingarm to be perfectly the same dimension, some part are welded on the cast aluminium. Further more, a little bend here and there renders the whole thing untrue

I think that those axle mark are good for gestimating the process, but you have to fine tune with proper method

My 2 cent

LOP

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
I aligned the rear sprocket with the front with a straight edge, which also aligned rear wheel with the front... Now I know my axle has to be half the distance between two lines on the right to be aligned, so I can still use the adjusstment marks for reference.

·
Registered
74 Posts

Not even CLOSE!
I'm not seeing what you are, I guess. The left axle plate mark is showing about 2.8 from the adjustment screw while the right is about 2.3. So it is pretty close as you are probably "eyeballing" the alignment gauge. I bought the same alignment gauge and found that using my caliper was pretty accurate. Before I bought and used the gauge I did this; I set the chain slack first, measured from the end of the plate on the left to the end of the axle, and used the adjusters on the right to match it. I found that, while close, the marks were not the same. Only when I started using the gauge did I feel that I was hitting the mark...pun intended. The measurements were the same both ways.

That all being said, because the gauge is based on sight, I wish there was a better, cheap way to check. The thing is that you have to move your body to adjust the wheel after you "sight it in". There is no way you can get to the exact same spot.

I guess the question becomes how good is good enough?

·
Super Moderator
19,606 Posts
Here's how:

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts