Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I live in Salt Lake City, Utah and the weather is in the upper 90s and after a ride either city driving or cruising I stop and the reserve tank for the radiator bubbles, I don't know if that is an accurate description but is that normal? Does anybody else experience it? The antifreeze level looks normal so I guess it kinda has to be normal... anyway thanks...

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm no help, but I did a trip to Seattle last weekend that was 107 degrees...no problems with the bike but Dairy Queen did see me twice on the way!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Check that your fan is working - Check that it spins without any interference, check the fuse and try to see if the fan is on when you ride in those conditions. Your reservoir is working as designed, it allows coolant to expand out of the radiator when the pressure gets high due to high coolant temps, but 90F is not really that hot to have it regularly overflow into the reservoir.

Gustavo

·
Registered
130 Posts
It doesn't sound normal. If you've recently removed the radiator cap, or the bike is brand new, there might be a bit of air in the system. Otherwise, as Gustavo says - it should only be coolant moving in and out of the reservoir. The only other way I could see that you should have bubbles is if the coolant is actually boiling (which would be WAY hot) or if the head gasket was leaking and combustion gases were getting into the coolant passages. Either one of those is not good.

Also note that the overflow tube dumps out right under the bike so it could make for some slippery riding if the coolant does boil over.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts