Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to test my heated grips but when I connect the leads to the battery the fuse blows. I have tried connecting with the grips and switch attached, with out them and inserting the fuse after I connect the leads. Any suggestions? I will be putting in fuse block with relay shortly, but I just wanted test the grips now.

Thank you,
Colin

·
Registered
430 Posts
I am trying to test my heated grips but when I connect the leads to the battery the fuse blows. I have tried connecting with the grips and switch attached, with out them and inserting the fuse after I connect the leads. Any suggestions? I will be putting in fuse block with relay shortly, but I just wanted test the grips now.

Thank you,
Colin
Did you try a multimeter with the switch set to resistance/ohms between the leads for +/- and make sure there's not a short circuit?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you try a multimeter with the switch set to resistance/ohms between the leads for +/- and make sure there's not a short circuit?
Thanks, I will give that a try. If there is a short circuit, the reading should be zero correct?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Thanks, I will give that a try. If there is a short circuit, the reading should be zero correct?
Right. Set the Ohm range you want to use (e.g. 1K, 10K). Next, some meters are calibrated by touching the two leads together and adjusting a dial to make it exactly zero. Then, touch the two leads to the two accessory leads that would normally connect to the power source. If it's zero, or low enough resistance to promote too-high current flow, that might be the source of the problem.

Better advice will likely come from someone who's installed those grips.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right. Set the Ohm range you want to use (e.g. 1K, 10K). Next, some meters are calibrated by touching the two leads together and adjusting a dial to make it exactly zero. Then, touch the two leads to the two accessory leads that would normally connect to the power source. If it's zero, or low enough resistance to promote too-high current flow, that might be the source of the problem.

Better advice will likely come from someone who's installed those grips.

The readings were all ove a range of 4 to 0.4 ohms. I think this is problem. The controller must be faulty.
Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts