Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

So here in the eastern US (Atlanta, GA) we've had some rain. I was riding home Tuesday in constant rain. Was sitting a red light when the horn started going off and did so for about 5 seconds. I was pressing the button to see if I could get it to shut off, but nothing. It didn't do again the rest of that ride. I rode home in rain on Thursday as well, no issue. Today I went for a lunch time ride in sunny weather and it went off two times, but only for a couple seconds each.

The obvious: I've got some moisture in there somewhere that is shorting it out and activating the horn, and making others give me funny looks.

The question to group: Has any one has anything similar happen? If so, do you know if that the problem would be in the controls on the handlebars, or down where the fuse is "inside" the bike, or down at the horn itself?

This evening I'm going to check it out and see if I can see any obvious points of entry for water.

Thanks for any feedback or insight! Ride safe!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Weird issue. I would start with the horn switch at the handlebar as the fuses are under the seat and less likely to be exposed to water.

I just had the opposite problem where pressing the horn button did nothing, the switch needed cleaning to completly ground the circuit. On a gen 3 at least, the handlebar switches are fully removable and serviceable with some small screwdrivers so thats nice.

Good luck!

Reactions: flip20xx

·
Registered
126 Posts
Maybe your Versys is complaining that it likes to stay dry ;)

Reactions: flip20xx

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe your Versys is complaining that it likes to stay dry ;)
Could be! I mean I'd rather ride in sunshine than rain, but when the rain comes I suit up and deal with it. Mr. 650 should do so as well!

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I once had an 850 Norton Commando that did the same thing but then it was British and was blessed with Lucas electrics. That is to say, nothing our of the ordinary. >:)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Sounds to me like the dreaded Chupacabra has struck again!!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,117 Posts
Horn Failure

FYI the horn is powered the instant the key is turned on, the horn switch supplies the negative ground, so either the ground wire heading to the switch is damaged or the horn has carbon tracking within, since this is a 2015, I would aim for the horn failure, since this isn't a relay, you need approximately 1.5 amp minimum , not something that 12 volts could produce carbon tracking with.
Just looked at my OEM horn in storage , I would check the mounting stud, as it is a single stud and it is possible the horn has rotated and touches the mounting periodically, neither connection is referenced to ground, however the whole horn is steel encased and is common to the mounting stud.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts