Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, just bought my '13 V in the beginning of the week after lurking around these forums for a couple months reading reviews of the V and other accessories and mods a lot of people have done. My overall opinion of the bike is exactly as most of you say, "Fun to ride", hands down. and the seat isnt uncomfortable for me, already pretty used to it, reminds me of my old dirt-bike racing days where we "hump" the tank. Anyway, I did notice that some install a rear hugger to help stop water/mud/crap. Instead of paying for one, I made one. Its still in its design infancy, but so far its working. Just needs refinement. What ya think?!?

Can someone measure their hugger and let me know how much of the tire it covers? From the bottom mount of the rear spring to the tip? Think mine may be a little short. The material is Kydex(guessing your wondering), it is typically used to make knife/pistol sheaths/holsters. I had a piece laying around left over from a sheath I made. It comes in various colors/sizes/thickness and can be molded into any shape. Limitless... :) If you guys think of any other things we can use this for please let me know and ill try it out.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Sweet! Believe me... If it works out you've save yourself a bundle!

·
Super Moderator
20,297 Posts
...If you guys think of any other things we can use this for please let me know and ill try it out.
A front fender 'extension'...?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Great idea! I have $99 one I bought off of ebay from a Greek manufacturer. Only issue with it is it is a little short. If it extended to the top middle of the tire or even further it could do a better job. As it is though it keeps the crap off the voltage regulator.

My unproven theory is that stator and voltage regulator issues may be related to clogging the cooling fins on the voltage regulator, located over the rear tire, with dirt and mud.

BTW a front wheel fender extender works great at keeping crap out of the radiator and is probably a lot more effective that a rad guard.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I'd like to have a hugger for the V, but it is an expensive piece of plastic. I've done what several others have to keep the regulator clean by adding a deflector to the rear of the battery box. Cheap, and works great.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input, yea i think extending it some will work. Also, on my '13 apparently Kawi listened and put the voltage regulator more tucked up under the seat by where my left leg is, not infront of the tire like I see on some pictures of other V's. (Guessing 10'+ are same as mine, no idea)

I may have to buy some more and play around with it and make a front one as well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
These protectors prevent dirt in the engine

1 - 7 of 7 Posts