Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just fabbed a homemade chain auto luber and plan to try it out on a ride tomorrow. If it works I will post the parts list and a how to if anyone is interested. It cost me about $3.00 (scavanged alot of peices around the garage) but even at that probably wouldn't cost over $10.00. I was able to conceal most yet it is easy to get at to give it a squeaze.

Buckshot

·
Registered
139 Posts
You gotta let us know, one way or another. Even if it doesn't work, post some pics and results to let us know how NOT to do it! Looking forward.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Material list and pics(I hope)

I am anot great with computers so I will try my best to to get the pictures posted

Material list

1) top off of a hair colouring bottle (wife took me to the local beauty supply store $1.98) didn't use bottle as it was to big
2) an old toll paint bottle
3) one length of 6mm air hose it is a little stiffer than fuel line (I picked blue to match the bike
4) A small aluminum bottle I found laying around (cut this to make the holder)
5) a small spring (used this as part of the holder)
6) some tie wraps
7) piece of weather stripping. (put this under the holer so it would not vibrate or mark the bike)
8) 6" to 8" of wire (placed this in the end of the air line so I could shape it to point at the sprocket)
8) the little red straw from a wd 40 can
9) some silicone

I took the side covers off to make the install easier. The silver racinig stripe on the sprocket is just an added bonus

:goodidea::badidea::feedback:

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Pretty neat install. How does it work? Any particular reason you mounted the bottle the way you did? Seems like you are going to have to be refilling it all the time once it is about a quarter empty. Do you think you will need some kind of valve to regulate the rate of flow? I really like your use of the aluminum bottle for a bracket.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how it works is you give the bottle a squeeze or turn it upside down just prior to going for a ride and it fills the air line. With the bottle higher than the chain gravity feeds the oil onto the sprocket. as far as regulating the flow I find the orifice in the straw seems to cover that as well the system has no venting so it drips more than free flows. As far as the volume there is around 3 oz of oil wich should cover quite a few rides

·
Super Moderator
19,023 Posts
I did somewhat the same thing (started with a LOOBMAN), but added a 12v windshield washer pump so I could add lube whenever I wanted. Had one on the Bandit and on the KLR, but the weak point was the way the LOOBMAN system put the oil onto the chain, so I finally removed them and went back to WD40ing after my rides.

I like your solution with the 'red WD40' end. :interesting: :goodidea:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Looks like your only lubing one side of the chain, Is the lube going between the chain link plates on both sides of the chain?

·
Registered
241 Posts
the oil is working its way all over the chain seems to be working well so far but time will tell if it is helping
It's been a while since you posted on your design (which I like). Just wondering if it worked out as "keeper" or if you chucked it and moved on. I want to install a DIY for my V too. Thanks in advance for your update!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I see two problems here... regular oil traps particles and dirt causing it to stick into the chain... In the other hand, if the dosage is not adequate the oil will splatter everywhere... Result: dirt in the wheel and all the area near to the point where the oil is applied.
I really prefer to use my DuPont Teflon Chain Lube, but the important thing here (to me) is that you got fun doing your project !!!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts