Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the weather is getting colder I thought :rolleyes:I would make an attempt at making a larger wind screen.

items used

- piece of lexan
- band saw
- files
- sandpaper
- cardboard
- 2x4

what I did is come up with a shape I liked looked on the net for ideas.
cut the shape out of the lexan
then I copied the arc of the original wind screen on 3 pieces of 2x4
then I stapled the cardboard to the 2x4 and covered it with tin foil
after filing and sanding the edges of the lexan I took the protective plastic of and placed it on the mold.
I thne place the whole thin in the oven at 250 for 45 min I then increased the temp by 50 at 15 min intervals. with the last increase at 25 degrees to bing the final temp to 375. within ten minutes of hitting 375 the lexan took the shape of the mold. I then took it out and let it cool. I just lined everthing up and drilled the holes all that is left to do is test it. I think it turned out great but my wife :blah::blah:seems to think that the Versys is loosing it's sporty look and turning into a family bike as she refers to it. :eek::eek:

buckshot

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
The windshield doesn't take anything away from the bike's look. Its a Blue, so there is not much else to make it uglier.... kidding :p

I too have a home-made shield (not by me though) and it looks fine.

The V is an adventure commuter, not a sport bike... dang insurance companies love that its called "sport" here though...

Nice job BTW!

P.S. I like the "family" look... cops ignore you... my car since I was 18 is a 300HP Volvo wagon... faster than 99% of the cars on the road and looks like its a middle age soccer mom. :D

·
Registered
859 Posts
How about a wide shot?
Judging from these photos, I'd put that on my bike.

Never mind the esthetic, what a nice job you've done!
And to think they are charging us 150$ for same things...

Cheers.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Damn nice looking, looks like I will be pricing some Lexan sheets today....

·
Registered
251 Posts
That looks great! Think I might be making a trip to the hi store. Pretty sure my Jeep is sold, so I will be using the V for everything. Sheesh, gotta start figuring out my bike rack too.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
It's a great job, especially for home made! But, I'm not a fan of the way the bigger windscreens look. But with windscreens, it's more about function, so take it for a ride & see if you like it.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
A family bike? LOL! How degrading...
Great job on the cutout, molding and baking. Lexan can be tricky to get a perfect curve like that without having bubbles appear in it. Very nice work! :thumb:
It looks a lot like my Mike's tinted 16.5" tall windscreen, but with your curving radius on top. :clap:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
That looks great.

In pic 5, looking from the back of the bike, they shield looks weird. Is it clear to look through, or is it distorted?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
took it for a ride

there is a little distortion in the center but it is not even noticable when riding it does seem to cut the wind mere than the original but stee feel it in the shoulders abit. However my riding jacket is not really ment for colder weather even with the vest liner in it. I seem to be getting a bit of wind buffeting on the tp of my helmet but more time in the saddle will tell me if it is the wind screen or not. Thanks for the compliments I am having as much fun making stuff for the bike as riding it. And the money I amd saving justifys the tools I have been buying.

buckshot

·
Registered
875 Posts
Hey...not bad at all!

I wonder what 2 or 3 coats of "black satin" paint on the inside would look like....any colour that goes with blue for that matter....black looks good on my green VERSYS...just a thought?:goodidea::badidea:

·
Registered
739 Posts
Very well done! It is tricky to home-make a windshield and make it look good.

I like the looks of a well shaped short windshield better, but not enough to suffer through the buffeting it creates.
I have a Calsci Large windshield on my commuter Versys, which is straight and compared to your curved and shaped shield it is rather ugly. But I am willing to sacrifice looks for good function.
It always depends what is important to you :teetertooter: and where you put the balance between form and function.

·
Registered
100 Posts
So when you molded that, did you have a top block on there or did you just rely on soft plastic + gravity to get the curve? I've got another project that requires bending acrylic so I'm trying to do all the research ahead of time.

It looks like you did cardboard > foil > lexan > foil. Is that correct?

Also, is there an important difference between lexan, acrylic, and polycarbonate?

·
Registered
764 Posts
So when you molded that, did you have a top block on there or did you just rely on soft plastic + gravity to get the curve? I've got another project that requires bending acrylic so I'm trying to do all the research ahead of time.

It looks like you did cardboard > foil > lexan > foil. Is that correct?

Also, is there an important difference between lexan, acrylic, and polycarbonate?
Lexan is polycarbonate just a trade name and you will probably pay more for Lexan. Acrylic is very brittle and cracks very easily leaving a razor sharp edge, also many cleaners will craze it. use the polycarbonate, stay away from Acrylic if you can.

Donn

·
Registered
764 Posts
Something to think about. Can making our own products put us in danger? I would hope that a screen would break away in a crash and not turn into a meat clever. (Acrylic:eek:) same with the rear rack that is posted on this site with sharp looking 1/4 inch steal rails. Just something to think about when making designing your own products. REMEMBER SAFTY FIRST:thumb:
I had a friend nearly cut though his jugular vain in his neck when he went over the pars on a Yamaha IT 175, it was the top of the stock plastic number plate head light that lacerated his neck. about 1/4 inch plastic with small sharp casting part line on the top that did the damage to his neck. He nearly bleed to death from a simple crash.

Maybe this should be a new thread.

Stay safe with your DIY projects:thumb: all!

Donn

·
Registered
577 Posts
Nice work. Have you tried it in the lowest position yet? Looks like it may allow even more air than the stocker in the bottom. How is it at 75mph?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts