Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made some soft saddle bag supports for my 2008 V from 1/2" aluminum piping. I really don't hold that much gear in my bags mostly for my commute, so hopefully this will hold up for now. I can easily add a cross bar if it doesn't hold.

I spent $16 total, $8 per 3ft pipe.

These are the only tools i used.

I made a home made "pipe bender" i used it for a couple of different bends in the shape not just the big bend.

Trying the fit.
It will be attached where the reflector is and "behind" the passenger foot peg, im using allen bolts and some loctite

Used a hammer and my drive way to flatten the ends and set it up for drilling it out. I also later on rounded and filed the edges.

Kind of hard to tell but there is a couple of extra bends in it. one at the top and one at the bottom.

With the bags on, looking good.

Covered them in primer.

I painted them a matte black to kind of match the bikes finish. (paints still wet)

They turned out awesome for $16!

I have lots more photos if anyone is curious, pm me.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Nice cost effective design. I had the same idea but what discouraged me was bending that bar. Was afraid the bend may kink.

Instead, in my desperation to come out with something to support the bags, I used Al hangers, bend them and cable tie them to the existing Givi top box racks. They and the bags survived 1300km of journey in which there was heavy downpour.

How much strength is needed to bend that bar?

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Very nice. "My hammer and the driveway to flatten the ends." Now there's a man after my own heart! :thumb:

The end result is often more important than the technique and it looks as if you've succeeded very nicely. Well done.

BTW, is that a Jardine exhaust?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Very well done! I've forwarded your post to my best friend who uses softbags on his V.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I have the same Ortlieb bags! They really do need a bag support on the vs. After thinking along similar lines I bought a set from a forum member who was making them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bending the pipe was a piece of cake. I had someone stand on the board so it wouldnt move. The first one i did started to kink, but using the hammer where i did solved that.

Yes it is a Jardine, i love it! Nice deep throaty sound, tried taking videos to post the results but they don't do it justice. I added the silencer and i did the "cutting" trick to the insert to lessen the popping upon deceleration.

I love the bags, I rode 200 miles through a thunderstorm this summer and everything stayed dry (in the bags, not me).
I got the idea off this forum, there is some really nicely done ones here but after searching i couldn't find anyone still making them. I have some other softer non water proof bags that im hoping this will help with.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I like it.

Looks like another spring project for me. Good job!:thumb:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Innovative, effective, cheap and well executed.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Like it also! my plan is to do something very similar to support some Cortech soft bags. So it's inspirational in that way...

but also in another way. I'd like to use this idea to make a simple tail rack if possible. Pretty much a thick wire thing, that would be longer width wise than length. Basically just to support a tent and a sleeping roll, I don't want a top box.

again though, great job :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
They turned out awesome for $16!

I have lots more photos if anyone is curious, pm me.[/QUOTE]

Nice job! I'm thinking of doing the same thing for my bike, although I may try a tubing bender I have laying around from my old car mechanic days.

Thanks for sharing.:thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Akatc,

Those supports look great. I used an idea from another forum member and used flat stock, but I may work on trying some round stock this winter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts