Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always had a thing for Shoei but I was disappointed in the Quest I bought last. I can't remember if it's 2 or 3 years old but I had some nagging problems with it. So when a piece of the liner came out I decided to look at a new skid lid.

I have heard good thing about HJC so took a look and liked what I saw. I looked at Bell and Scorpion as well BUT the Bell didn't fit and I had a Scorpion a few years back that left me cold.

So I bought the FG-17 as it fit and in Hi-Vis and Mat Black looks sharp. Everything seemed well thought out. all the vents locks worked and the shield latch as well, I have never seen one of those before. Of course it came with the Pen Lock system AND the Pen Lock liner shield. I also picked up a dark shield for sunny weather, at $32 it's less than half the cost of a Shoei shield and it also has the Pen Locks in it.

I had a 60 mile trip home and the helmet was tight, the foam will break in I know, and noisier than the Shoei I think But it's a deeper noise not and "Raspy" as the Shoei is. BUT much quieter than the EX 400 I had and the Fuller AVG I use with the KLR. No undue buffeting or loose parts, the shield was a snap to change out and locked in with a positive click.

I am sad about the Quest though I hope it was just a fluke as I like Shoei. But I'll see how the HJC treats me.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I made sure NOT to get a helmet with one. I wear glasses and they get in the way of the flip down visors...or the visors get in the way of my glasses! :confused:

I thought Hi-Viz was a Board requirement anymore. I mean everyone's buying it and it's better than the black I use to have.

·
Premium Member
16,113 Posts
Good looking helmet..:thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Little follow up. I thought the helmet came with the chin curtain but not so. I pick up one at the store I bought the helmet at, all of $3.50. It really helped with the "Drumming" sound. Still louder than the Shoei but not by much.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
That is a sweet helmet! I love high viz! :thumb:

FWIW, I ride a Scorpion EXO1000 with the internal sun visor and glasses. No contact, not even close. Sorry you have not had the same experience as an flip down internal visor is now a requirement for any new helmet of mine.

Again, nice lid!!

·
Registered
805 Posts
I'm usually a solid helmet kinda guy but that color combo looks sweet. I like how they didn't go overboard with crazy graphics. Good choice. I have always owned and liked hjc helmets. My last helmet was an icon. I thought i would like the variant because it boasted great visibility but I hated it. Last week I just bought a gmax modular and am surprisingly very very impressed thus far.

·
Registered
78 Posts
HJC helmet

....I tried an HJC but I gave it away (apparently I have a Shoei head)
forehead pressure caused a headache after 30/40 minutes....If it fits they are nice helmets and a bargain....also didn't like the integral sun shield. It caused too much visual distortion looking through two different curvatures.

Cheers
RCF

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I felt the same way with the Bell I tried on. Like there was a block of wood in the front.

Like you said if they fit, but if they don't it's a waste of money.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Follow up on the FG-17.

Ok it's been about 5 months since I bought it and it seen a lot of use already. There was a tag that said the Hi- Vis could fade in bright sunlight...and it has. The top stripes are heading towards white! But every Hi-Vis helmet seem to do this and had the tag. :thumbdown:

Yesterday I was making a run to the petstore and the shield latch popped off the helmet when I went to open it for a breath of cool air. The latch is somewhere on the road around Yellow Springs, Oh...if you find it please send it back! :p Needless to say I had to buy a new shield as without the latch there's no way to keep the shield open or closed. At $35.00 it's not the end of the world just very aggravating. It's held on with little screws so keep an eye on them.

Other than those things it's been a good helmet so far.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts