Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys-

Just wondering if I'm the only person here wearing a Hit-Air airbag system jacket? Been rocking it since I bought my first streetbike last year. While I hope I never have call for it to deploy, I must say it adds a bit of reassurance when riding. So- anyone else? Experiences with them? Anyone have theirs deploy in a crash? :huh:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Never heard of Hit-Air? Where can I see it online and learn about it. I know Dainese and Alpinestar have airbag systems, but they seem to be only for their race suits...

·
Registered
601 Posts
An old thread, but thought I'd throw my 2 cents in...

I've been rocking mine for at least 4 years now. I wear it almost daily. Never had to use it, although the airbag did deploy when I dropped my bike at a near standstill. The jacket looks like it's 4 years old, but it's holding up great! I never ride without it. I want to add one of their mesh jackets to my lineup but don't have the cash for one now.

Safermoto.com

I highly recommend them!

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
An old thread, but thought I'd throw my 2 cents in...

I've been rocking mine for at least 4 years now. I wear it almost daily. Never had to use it, although the airbag did deploy when I dropped my bike at a near standstill. The jacket looks like it's 4 years old, but it's holding up great! I never ride without it. I want to add one of their mesh jackets to my lineup but don't have the cash for one now.

Safermoto.com

I highly recommend them!
How does it deploy? Is it tethered to the bike? You have to remember to disconnect every time you dismount?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've had the vest for a few years now. Wear it all the time. I've forgot to unhook, but it takes 60lbs of pull to deploy the airbag. You'll pull the bike over first. I'll get a full mesh jacket at some point. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I've had the vest for a few years now. Wear it all the time. I've forgot to unhook, but it takes 60lbs of pull to deploy the airbag. You'll pull the bike over first. I'll get a full mesh jacket at some point. :thumb:
So theoretically, you could hit the ground or crumple onto the bike when hitting a car prior to separating from the bike enough to deploy the air bag?

·
Registered
601 Posts
It deploys when you're separated from your bike. There's a tether that you attach to the bike that clips into a CO2 cartridge on the jacket/vest. When you get separated from the bike, it pulls the "key" from the cartridge that inflates the jacket.

Likely it won't inflate if you crumple on to the bike. It's designed to protect ribs and neck if you get thrown from your bike.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've had mine for 3 years and forget to detach it all the time with no issue. the airbag really is only for getting thrown, but there is the same quality of armour in it for low sides etc.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I started wearing one of their vests recently, as it give me the option for any of my moto jackets by season.

I've forgotten to disconnect it many times too, and you would very likely pull the bike over before deploying the airbag. That said- I dropped the bike out from under me entering a garage with a metal sidewalk lip in the rain- The claims that it deploys in .25 seconds are entirely accurate. The vest was fully deployed before the bike hit the ground. So every day it's a reasonably lightweight hi-viz vest (which makes a real difference in NYC), and should the need arise a full airbag system. I still feel a lot better having it on when I ride, and consider it part of my ATGATT routine. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts
I keep forgetting to unplug my heated gear when dismounting....
Here's what I made w/ a 'label maker' to help MY memory.... (and I know it's NOT level...)

Attachments

·
Registered
688 Posts
I went to the link but didn't see a price. Did I miss it? How much?

Took me awhile using google and searching several websites to find a price, they don't make it easy to buy one...

Depending on model and options...around $500.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Took me awhile using google and searching several websites to find a price, they don't make it easy to buy one...

Depending on model and options...around $500.
They don't, but it's still cheaper than a trip to the hospital. The added protection against busted ribs puncturing organs is worth every dollar to me. My life is worth it...

People sell used ones from time to time in the $250 price range.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I started wearing one of their vests recently, as it give me the option for any of my moto jackets by season.

I've forgotten to disconnect it many times too, and you would very likely pull the bike over before deploying the airbag. That said- I dropped the bike out from under me entering a garage with a metal sidewalk lip in the rain- The claims that it deploys in .25 seconds are entirely accurate. The vest was fully deployed before the bike hit the ground. So every day it's a reasonably lightweight hi-viz vest (which makes a real difference in NYC), and should the need arise a full airbag system. I still feel a lot better having it on when I ride, and consider it part of my ATGATT routine. :thumb:
That's the vest I wear. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts