Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Riders,
What is a comfortable cruising speed for you on the freeway / highway where the limit is 70, 80 MPH?
I ride a 2016 650 LT and 75 - 80 is pretty good, over that things get a bit rushed for me but bike seems to do well. I have a California Scientific windshield which helps.
Thoughts, ideas, experiences?

·
Super Moderator
19,132 Posts
I HAVE 'cruised' as high as low-90s (say, 95mph), but it AIN'T a great idea, as the LEOs will probably "take exception".

Usually at the 'limit' + 5mph.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have not done any correction to my Speedo by sprocket or tire, so I cruise at 74ish on the speedo which I believe is close to 70 actual.. I personally don't like the buzzing at much higher speeds on this particular bike.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I went one up on the front sprocket and it pretty much makes the speedometer correct.... now 70 indicated is actually 71.

Anyways, I now set it on the speed limit, as indicated by the speedometer. At 70 or 75, it cruises nicely, all day long

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
ive hit speeds of 110mph 2-up with the givi wind sail and it didnt complain but it took its time getting there.... i ride at 65-95mph most of the time and done 30+ mile stretches at 90mph+ and have never had any problems other then wind buffeting (due to being 6'2 and having a crap helmet with big ears on it)

Reactions: bigaussie

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a 2015 650LT with a 43T rear sprocket. It has the same effect on the gearing as lowering the front sprocket by one tooth. I did a highway trip through several states with a 80mph speed limit and was cruising at 85-90mph for long stretches. I didn't notice any extra vibration. The bike handled that speed fine - I do have a GIVI tall windshield which works amazingly well at keeping the wind blast off of me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am curious about how the 1000 LT handles at 80mph. I currently have an FJR and am contemplating trading it in on the Versys. I commute 100 miles each day-mostly 3 lanes of interstate and my FJR handles it with ease. A test ride is in my future, but looking for other rides experiences.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I generally cruise on the interstate between 75-80 comfortably. The engine is winding out a bit more than my FJR did at those speeds, but it's still only right around 6,000 rpms.

·
Premium Member
16,143 Posts
I am curious about how the 1000 LT handles at 80mph. I currently have an FJR and am contemplating trading it in on the Versys. I commute 100 miles each day-mostly 3 lanes of interstate and my FJR handles it with ease. A test ride is in my future, but looking for other rides experiences.

I had an FJR now have a Versys 1000 The V-1000 handles 80mph like a champ. I'm always over 80 on the freeway out here in Cali..BTW it handles triple digits well also...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks Weljo, I tried to PM you with some specific questions but since I am a newbe, I can't yet send pm's or emails.

·
Premium Member
16,143 Posts

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
I would probably go with a new FJR with the 6 speed, electronic cruise control, power windshield, and electronic suspension adjustment for a 100 mile commute. The shaft drive will cut down on the chain maintenance required on the Versys. The cruise control will help with fatigue. Adjustable windshield for changing weather conditions. Electronic suspension adjustment for changing road conditions.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Have to agree with twowheeladdict. Had a FJR, now have a Versys. Long distance, high-speed superslab rides are the only thing the FJR does better than the Versys, but if that's most of your riding, the FJR makes sense.

·
Registered
96 Posts
2015 650LT here, 75mph 2 up all day long fully loaded. Run a madstad windshield and sargent seat. The 15+ V650 is an absolute touring bargin when set up for long distance riding.

·
Super Moderator
19,132 Posts
Cruising 75-85 on a 650? I've not been able to do it. Bigger windscreen helps but I'm thinking of going to the 1000 for highway riding....
I do it all the time, and that's w/ a BIG windscreen! Also done it two-up. THAT includes BOTH of my 'current' V 650s.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts