Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,603 Posts
My view done by professional stuntman, for various reasons
1, because of the camera work from front and back
2, see how he held on with both hand in the first slide and feet were in good position
3, he seem to know how to put weight on the bars to throw him clear of bike and also get some height to minimise any on coming collisions, was taught years ago if was on bike and imminent head on to put pressure on the bars to make me fly up and over rather than down and under a oncoming vehicle.
4, he seem to control his landing and roll pretty well.

·
Registered
214 Posts
All dem Harley guys have a story about having to lay 'er down.

They must teach this manuver in the Rider's Edge Advanced Rider's Course.

They probably teach em high siding first so they learn not to do that. Then they teach em how to low side because everyone knows sliding along on the pavement on steel stops you better than those rubber tires.

·
Super Moderator
20,798 Posts
From one who's highsided several times ice-racing - VERY interesting watching the rear wheel load and unload the swingarm! :goodluck:

Sliding down the track in a cloud of ice particles and watching ANOTHER ice-cloud coming after you with a Yamaha TT500 bouncing in-and-out of view...

and SURVIVING.... PRICELESS! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I think Kiwi has it exactly right...

Cool vid though – and a real good example of how well proper gear can protect you... Without it, he wouldn’t have been using those elbows again anytime soon!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Can someone help a rookie out with what happened here. Did the rear tire lock and if so was a recovery really out of the question? I know the video was staged so he needed to go down, I'm just curious if the bike truly had to go down.
Also, keeping a good distance away from the car ahead would keep this situation from every happening, no?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Can someone help a rookie out with what happened here. Did the rear tire lock and if so was a recovery really out of the question? I know the video was staged so he needed to go down, I'm just curious if the bike truly had to go down.
Also, keeping a good distance away from the car ahead would keep this situation from every happening, no?
I can't speak to the precise physics of this or any crash (also a rookie), but it looked like he kind of threw himself into it on the way back around. I'd be more interested in the root of the highsides in the Mulholland videos that are linked to at the end. Throttle chop? Too much rear brake? My limited experience doesn't lend well to analysis, even in slo-mo.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It's known as a high side, meaning you get thrown over the bike instead of under it (low side). It happens when the rear wheel slips and the rear end slips out to the side. The rear wheel eventually grips again and causes the bike to violently straighten up and stand up, which -- oh Newton says it best. The rider gets tossed up (and usually over the handle bars) and the bike usually follows. Of course, it doesn't always happen just like this -- there are many variables.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highsider

Yes, keeping a safe distance from the car in front could help to eliminate an over-braking reaction (which can start a high side).

·
Registered
378 Posts
Obviously a professional. Just look at all that gear (who wears breast armor on a hornet?).
Still, fascinating to see. Especially that he just won't let go of the gas throttle (a true rider!). That right thumb's gotta hurt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts