Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just moved from Sacramento, CA which is close to sea level, up to Reno, NV. Where Im at, it's about 5,000 feet. I filled my tires when I first move but it seems like I have to fill them more often than normal. Im wondering if I could have a slow leak or is it normal at this elevation? I usually dont go more than a few hundred feet up or down in elevation.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
So, I just moved from Sacramento, CA which is close to sea level, up to Reno, NV. Where Im at, it's about 5,000 feet. I filled my tires when I first move but it seems like I have to fill them more often than normal. Im wondering if I could have a slow leak or is it normal at this elevation? I usually dont go more than a few hundred feet up or down in elevation.
Most likely it's the cooler temps at night in Reno vs Sacramento.

It's still late summer with very warm day time temps but fairly cool night temps. Since temp effects tire pressure that's probably what is happening. Not to worry.

If you check your tire pressure in the hot afternoon then check it again the next cool morning you could see a 2 or 3 psi difference due to temp changes.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Most likely it's the cooler temps at night in Reno vs Sacramento.

It's still late summer with very warm day time temps but fairly cool night temps. Since temp effects tire pressure that's probably what is happening. Not to worry.

If you check your tire pressure in the hot afternoon then check it again the next cool morning you could see a 2 or 3 psi difference due to temp changes.
And possibly at 5000 ft. the air is thinner,easier to leak out? There always seems to be a bit of leakage at sea level particularily if there are temperature swings.Notice it mostly on all my bicycle tires...

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
The procedure is to check them at the same time every morning after the bike has sat for several hours. You never want to check immediately after riding. If you check in the morning and then check in the afternoon you will get some variation.

If you are continually having to add air then you have a small leak somewhere. Fill a spray bottle with some soapy water and spray down the tires and valve stems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts