Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer sold me the bike with HID already installed on the bike, he had it in the showroom to demo the bike and lights together.

After I pick up the bike and use it at night, will post more about it as I need to get a feel for her and then see from there what other mods need or can be done. Already looking at a Givi top case rack so i can use an existing one (a 46 lt.), it might look too big but, let the farkling adventure begin.

I will not modify this bike as I have done in the past like exhaust, etc... Will do only necessary mods for biking and travel comfort.

Will keep posted

Frank

·
Registered
318 Posts
If you can take any night pics with the HID's on, I'd love to see them.

Definitely keep us updated as well. I'm always looking to see what goodies are available.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys,

No problema, I just picked up the bike yesterday at the dealer and supposedly was only going to fill her up with gas but could not resist a short 70 km ride. What a beauty :D The lights work real nice and will take a pic at night and post you all can see what they look like.

As far as the transformer placement goes, there is ample space in the front beneath the black plastic panels for the 2 large ones; you are safe with either size.

Will keep you all posted. :cool:

Frank

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi FJS
Enjoy your new bike,mine new in Nov (Orange) only 480 miles so far due to weather here in UK and my being a "born again"
As for mods:-in UK essential first ones are rear hugger (mine is Ermax and orange) and Rad cover,both to protect potentially sensitive areas on bike.
Other mods I have done include ,Scottoiler,KTM handlebar covers,Twin horns ,Givi top box and rack.
Bike came with Kawasaki panniers,Vario screen and low gel seat as part of package late last year.a good deal with a discount as well.
Like the idea of brighter headlights ,will watch your experiences with interest
Pictures here:http://picasaweb.google.com/stuartbull1

Regards
from across the pond
Twohoots

·
Registered
217 Posts
Twohoots.
Where did you get the radiator guard? Looks very nice!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Bad-tat
Rad cover is by RomaTech (a German company I believe) sold via ebay shop for £32 .00 plus p&P(stering|)
I expect they will post to the States, worth an enquiry
this is link to the site: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/RoMatech-Motorradzubehor_Radiator-cover_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ2651796QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Cheers
Twohoots
Nice looking bike. How about the hand guards, who makes those? Only ones I've seen so far are the overkill, aluminum bar, like-I'm-really-gonna go barreling through the forest types! ;)

Cheers! AD

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re Handguards

Hi AlexDz

Handguards are standard (i.e readily avilable) KTM ,fit right on,but have to change the bar ends or you can push the bolt straight thro the rubber insert on Kawa ones,leading them to fall off !!!! not good.replaced mine with stainless (so almost as heavy) and just bolt thro.
Keep the wind and rain off nicely.

Cheers Stuart

·
Registered
69 Posts
Anybody tried an HID conversion yet? I put that in my car, and the difference in light is amazing! The car has projector beam headlights though, which are ideal for HID bulbs. I'm wondering whether an HID bulb in the Versys would be annoying to oncoming traffic since it's got the more tradition reflector setup.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey AlexDz,

I did install an HID conversion on mine and it works great. I only replaced the low beam. I did aim it a little lower so I wasn't blinding oncoming traffic. I got the conversion from http://www.cqlights.ca for 90 bucks. Was pretty much a plug and play operation with the exception of having to fabricate a shim for the tabs that hold the bulb in to engage correctly.

-Tim

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very good explanation

Very good explanation of the function on HID's; I saw that they were small lamps though. The HID systems used on the bikes are the same as the cars because of the bulb #'s they replace and the power consumption of those systems is usually around 35 watts each bulb (better than halogen at 55 for sure if you want to add electrical acc.).

For bikes though, some manufacturers have made smaller ballasts so they can be mounted in confined areas as some fog lights for some cars.

I just plain forgot about the pics of the HID but they are awsome and let me tell you all, if you decide to go that way, try to use the 5k kelvin or 4500 as the higher the temp (kelvin) the bluer the color and the less you will see at night.

Just my 2cts and hope it helps out a bit :thumb:

Frank

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok the real question - what kind of overhead are we talking here. How much more draw over stock do these things pull from the electrical system?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Original are 55 watts, HID are 35 watts therefor giving you an extra 20 watts per bulb for other use (20x2=40 for GPS or heated grips, clothing etc...)

:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts