Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everybody

Just signed up for the board, so thought I'd check in. I'm already on a whole bunch of other boards too, but I thought I'd definitely join this one too since its Versys-specific.

Bought my Versys on New Years Day from a dealer on the other side of the state. Its an 09 with 1,600 miles on it, and I got it for $4,000 even. I even got the dealer to trailer it and meet me half-way! Previous owner put on a givi windscreen and frame sliders, and then traded it in on a big VTX. I've liked the Versys since it came out, but you never see them for sale used. I guess partly because they don't sell that many around here, and partly because people who buy them probably know what they're getting into and don't turn them around so fast.

Definitely nice to have a new bike to ride, because my Ducati 1098 has been in the shop since Thanksgiving when it got knocked over in a parking lot by an old grandma in a Lexus SUV. I thought the bike was going to be totaled based on the prices of the OEM Ducati stuff, but turns out her insurance is paying to fix it. I'm just waiting on friggin plastics from Italy now.

Anyhow, just saying hi. Here's a crummy pic of my new toy (hasn't been nice enough outside to take good pics):

Here's my Duc that got injured, and my track bike that I just sold this month:

EDIT:
Got a good new non-cameraphone pic

·
Registered
76 Posts
hello and welcome ..... glad to see another Florida V

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I'm lovin' that 10-9-8...yellow Ducks rock! (Nearly as much as red Versi!)

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks everybody.

A good friend of mine just got suckered into the touring thing too and bought a VStrom 1000 this week decked out in Pelican cases. The plan is to ride to Indy this year for MotoGP. Now to find a Pelican setup of my own...

·
Registered
842 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Welcome. I think you will like the Versys. If you get south of Sarasota let me know if you want to ride with another V. Have about 5K miles on my V now and have added all the touring stuff.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
With that collection of bikes, your choice for a Versys says a lot for the model. I really fell in love with the new 796 hypermotard, but more money than I wanted to spend, and probably more bike.

I just got the exact same bike a week before Christmas. It's going to get painted black like the 2010 model. I'm really pleased with how the bike rides and performs. I sold my V-Strom 1000 about 4 years ago.

Some have called it a mini-multistrada. :cheers:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With that collection of bikes, your choice for a Versys says a lot for the model. I really fell in love with the new 796 hypermotard, but more money than I wanted to spend, and probably more bike.
Heh, thanks. I can admit it, I'm a Ducati fanboy. But you're right, they can be downright illogical at times. If it were my only bike, I'd have to think twice. Price of parts, availability, service, etc. But wow, once you hit the starter and take off, it makes it all worthwhile.

I just got the exact same bike a week before Christmas. It's going to get painted black like the 2010 model. I'm really pleased with how the bike rides and performs. I sold my V-Strom 1000 about 4 years ago.
Yeah, I'm curious to know how you like it compared to the Vstrom 1000. A buddy of mine just bought one last week, mainly because he didn't want to spend the money on a BMW GS, didn't want the maintenance interval of a Multistrada, and he thought the Versys would be underpowered. Personally, I don't find that the Versys is underpowered for its intended purpose (although a 1000 would be nice of course).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome. I think you will like the Versys. If you get south of Sarasota let me know if you want to ride with another V. Have about 5K miles on my V now and have added all the touring stuff.
Hey, where in FL are you? I've got tons of friends around here that ride, and I'm actually the admin of the SarasotaRiders.net forum.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
>snip

Yeah, I'm curious to know how you like it compared to the Vstrom 1000. A buddy of mine just bought one last week, mainly because he didn't want to spend the money on a BMW GS, didn't want the maintenance interval of a Multistrada, and he thought the Versys would be underpowered. Personally, I don't find that the Versys is underpowered for its intended purpose (although a 1000 would be nice of course).
The BMW was on my short-list as well, but the new 800cc one they call a 650 (dorks). The 1200gs is just too much bike for what I wanted.

The motor feel on the versys compared to the v-strom 1000 is surprisingly similar, the bigger bike just has a lot more on the top end. The bigger bikes will cruise two up with luggage at over a 100 easy. And it's a way heavier bike, so the lightness and 17" front of the versys makes it seem a lot more agile, and I've slowed down a lot in my old age - 80-85 is fast enough. I thought I would dual sport the vstrom a lot more than I did. I think I had it offroad once or twice. My dream was to ride baja to Cabo but that just never came to pass. And I have a KTM dirtbike so my 'roadbike' stays on the road. The versys was just a natural progession. I looked hard at the wee-strom but it just seemed as bulky as the bigger one. And they're fugly :exactly:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey, where in FL are you? I've got tons of friends around here that ride, and I'm actually the admin of the SarasotaRiders.net forum.
I'm in S. Ft Myers. I ride the roads East of Sarasota occasionally. I have found curves out that way. Some good ones N.E. of Arcadia too. The loop around Okeechobee makes a good day trip too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I'm in S. Ft Myers. I ride the roads East of Sarasota occasionally. I have found curves out that way. Some good ones N.E. of Arcadia too. The loop around Okeechobee makes a good day trip too.
Oh okay, cool. Yeah we ride those roads out east of town all the time.

Have you ever been to Fuel Cafe in Sarasota? A friend of ours (Dex is a CCS racer with a Ducati SportClassic 1000) opened it a couple years ago, and its the defacto hangout for us. You can stop by any day of the week and find people willing to head out on a ride. Next time you're up this way, you should stop in.

My girlfriend is from Ft Myers, and we end up down there for an afternoon or something about once every month or two. I like the city a lot actually. I bought the Duc from the dealer down there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The BMW was on my short-list as well, but the new 800cc one they call a 650 (dorks). The 1200gs is just too much bike for what I wanted.

The motor feel on the versys compared to the v-strom 1000 is surprisingly similar, the bigger bike just has a lot more on the top end. The bigger bikes will cruise two up with luggage at over a 100 easy. And it's a way heavier bike, so the lightness and 17" front of the versys makes it seem a lot more agile, and I've slowed down a lot in my old age - 80-85 is fast enough. I thought I would dual sport the vstrom a lot more than I did. I think I had it offroad once or twice. My dream was to ride baja to Cabo but that just never came to pass. And I have a KTM dirtbike so my 'roadbike' stays on the road. The versys was just a natural progession. I looked hard at the wee-strom but it just seemed as bulky as the bigger one. And they're fugly :exactly:
That's good to hear. I wanted something slightly bigger, and more comfortable to ride distance, but I didn't want to go so far as to get a tank thats too far from the sportbike feel. If the Vstrom feels much heavier, then I'm glad I got what I did.

I'm with you, the thought of taking an advrider.com-type excursion cross country always sounds awesome, but in reality it'll probably never happen. I know I'd never need the dual-sport capabilities, and I'm happy with street riding.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Oh okay, cool. Yeah we ride those roads out east of town all the time.

Have you ever been to Fuel Cafe in Sarasota? A friend of ours (Dex is a CCS racer with a Ducati SportClassic 1000) opened it a couple years ago, and its the defacto hangout for us. You can stop by any day of the week and find people willing to head out on a ride. Next time you're up this way, you should stop in.

My girlfriend is from Ft Myers, and we end up down there for an afternoon or something about once every month or two. I like the city a lot actually. I bought the Duc from the dealer down there.
Thankx for the info on Fuel Cafe. I will make it a point to have lunch there on my next ride up that way. I too have dropped a few bucks at the dealership where you got your Duc. Last purchase was a K1300GT. It was a rocket and I loved it but too heavy for my old back to push around the shop.
Been riding since the 60's and its catching up to me. The light weight of the V will allow me to keep riding. Or at least thats the plan.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts