Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! Been great searching through this site, and like to thank you for it! Getting great info. Hoping to contribute where I can to the V community. So I’ve jumped “V’s” from a full farkled dl650 to my (new to me) 2011 Verseys, bone stock with 3k mi to become my new adv/tourer. The v-Strom is a great bike for its intended purpose, but it’s more a Swiss-army pack mule thats just too bulky for my ride style.
So far I’m loving the Versys. My gf lives outside of Ashville NC (eastern mc mecca) and I ride or haul a bike down every opportunity I have to escape flat Ohio. Also, I regularly visit family in northern NM on bike or in tow. Hoping to do some more exploration of the western states this coming season.
I’m a smaller guy and appreciate agility, e.g. among my other bikes are triumph STR, an SV with a gsxr front end, as well as couple of lightweight d/s yami’s etc...all well moded.
So far I’ve gotten a touring screen, exhaust (that car muffler just didn’t sound like a motorcycle to me), engine guards, case racks, etc. in preparation for the season. Above all I need tires! The PO only rode in his straight line grid farm community and apparently never leaned. It still has the now 10 yr old OEM’s flanked with 2” virgin chicken strips!! I’ve already slid out testing them in a newly paved parking lot...fortunately my leg took the brunt of the drop (ouch! broken heart!). Old, unused tire surface, BAD...
Wrapping up, I feel this Versys seems to suit all my adv/touring criteria given all I’ve read here and so far experienced. Ride on!
20B791C2-931C-4797-9E5B-FA22712BB2F2.jpeg

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hey all! Been great searching through this site, and like to thank you for it! Getting great info. Hoping to contribute where I can to the V community. So I’ve jumped “V’s” from a full farkled dl650 to my (new to me) 2011 Verseys, bone stock with 3k mi to become my new adv/tourer. The v-Strom is a great bike for its intended purpose, but it’s more a Swiss-army pack mule thats just too bulky for my ride style.
So far I’m loving the Versys. My gf lives outside of Ashville NC (eastern mc mecca) and I ride or haul a bike down every opportunity I have to escape flat Ohio. Also, I regularly visit family in northern NM on bike or in tow. Hoping to do some more exploration of the western states this coming season.
I’m a smaller guy and appreciate agility, e.g. among my other bikes are triumph STR, an SV with a gsxr front end, as well as couple of lightweight d/s yami’s etc...all well moded.
So far I’ve gotten a touring screen, exhaust (that car muffler just didn’t sound like a motorcycle to me), engine guards, case racks, etc. in preparation for the season. Above all I need tires! The PO only rode in his straight line grid farm community and apparently never leaned. It still has the now 10 yr old OEM’s flanked with 2” virgin chicken strips!! I’ve already slid out testing them in a newly paved parking lot...fortunately my leg took the brunt of the drop (ouch! broken heart!). Old, unused tire surface, BAD...
Wrapping up, I feel this Versys seems to suit all my adv/touring criteria given all I’ve read here and so far experienced. Ride on!
View attachment 181564
Welcome aboard! Putting in a plug for Michelin road 5 tires. They were simply amazing! My V650 felt like it was on rails with the Road 5's. Plan to put a set on my V1K this winter. Ashville NC sure is an amazing place to ride! Enjoy!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Welcome! I moved from a 'Strom for the same reasons and I ride my V a lot more than I ever rode the Strom. If you're looking for tires with a bit of tread, Shinko 705's are a great choice.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Welcome aboard from San Antonio, People's Republic of Texas (or some think).

·
Super Moderator
19,913 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome aboard! Putting in a plug for Michelin road 5 tires. They were simply amazing! My V650 felt like it was on rails with the Road 5's. Plan to put a set on my V1K this winter. Ashville NC sure is an amazing place to ride! Enjoy!
Welcome! I moved from a 'Strom for the same reasons and I ride my V a lot more than I ever rode the Strom. If you're looking for tires with a bit of tread, Shinko 705's are a great choice.
Thanx gents! Happy to be here. Both great suggestions too!
Ugh...the world of tire selection... I have the road 4’s on the str and yeah, I can imagine the 5’s are laser tight. In my lineup I’m favoring the anakee 3’s from Michelin but for the sizes... As for the Shinko 705’s, man those tires seemed to be tailor made for my Strom! Did nothing perfectly but did everything really well, just like the bike. Don’t think I can justify them on the V since frankly, I can ride any rubber confidently on hard pack/gravel or into guerrila camp. Plus it’s seldom im doing more than 50 miles of it at a time. And with a 17” front wheel, I don’t expect to get too rowdy off-road. I jumped to the Versys for better road capability anyway.
Factors and considerations...Fully outfitting the V amongst a stable of plated steeds (still awaiting the Strom sale) theres a budget. I’m a big fan of Shinko’s for that reason. Not putting tons of miles per season on any one bike so longevity< cost is my current realm. I’ve been rolling Raven 009’s on the SV and have to say I’m pretty impressed with them, so they keep surfacing the list. May slap those on for this season and go from there. Need to pull a trigger soon since the current shoes are just plain dangerous and restricting my new toy fun.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Theres also the seat. Why do the best bikes always wanna pitch forward? I’m a big fan of Sargent but for the $.? Looks like seat Concepts is a good solution to mediate a DIY job. Btw, I raise lamb and will promote the beni‘s of sheepskin seat covers all day if you haven’t tried. Makes a fine pillow cover when camping too...provided your staying fresh and dry😉

·
Premium Member
16,258 Posts
Theres also the seat. Why do the best bikes always wanna pitch forward? I’m a big fan of Sargent but for the $.? Looks like seat Concepts is a good solution to mediate a DIY job. Btw, I raise lamb and will promote the beni‘s of sheepskin seat covers all day if you haven’t tried. Makes a fine pillow cover when camping too...provided your staying fresh and dry😉

Not sure if this seat is still available...If it is you should do yourself a favor and get it.... Baldwin seat for 650

·
Super Moderator
19,913 Posts
There's also the seat. Why do the best bikes always wanna pitch forward?
Since the FIRST days of this Forum, the cure has been to RAISE the front of the seat. Requires a scrap piece of steel to make a new "bridge" plus two M6 bolts (45mm...?), so costs about $3. Mine are UP about 9/16".

DSC00059A by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

DSC00060 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

DSC09373 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

DSC00079 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

seat rise1 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

So far I've enjoyed this mod for OVER 150,000 MILES among three V650s w/out damaging any seats.

(y)(y)

:cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since the FIRST days of this Forum, the cure has been to RAISE the front of the seat. Requires a scrap piece of steel to make a new "bridge" plus two M6 bolts (45mm...?), so costs about $3. Mine are UP about 9/16".

DSC00059A by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

DSC00060 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

DSC09373 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

DSC00079 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

seat rise1 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

So far I've enjoyed this mod for OVER 150,000 MILES among three V650s w/out damaging any seats.

(y)(y)

Thanx again for the recommendations Fast Ed! I’ve seen this setup amongst other clever ideas here. It stands out from others that aren't as easily reversible too.
Keep It Simple, Stupid💋!

·
Super Moderator
19,913 Posts
I joined this Forum a few months before I took delivery of my MOTY '08 (in Sept '08). The FIRST modification I made was to raise the front of my seat, and ALSO the first made to my '09 and '15 V650s.

I've done MANY rides of MORE than 12 hours in a day w/out "BUTT" issues...!

(y)(y)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I joined this Forum a few months before I took delivery of my MOTY '08 (in Sept '08). The FIRST modification I made was to raise the front of my seat, and ALSO the first made to my '09 and '15 V650s.

I've done MANY rides of MORE than 12 hours in a day w/out "BUTT" issues...!

(y)(y)

Wow you got in ground floor on these great bikes! Just took inventory in the garage and have all the hardware necessary 😁. I find the seat perfectly comfortable aside from the pitch. May later do something lower later (5’9 here). Maybe not

·
Super Moderator
19,913 Posts
BTW - I'm NOW about 5'9" (USED to be 5'11.5"...!) w/ 30" inseam.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts