Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My name is Matt and I'm from SE Wyoming (by way of the USAF). I'm the proud owner of a "new to me" '09 green Versys with just over 1000 miles on it and so far I'm really happy with it. I traded off my Z1000 to get it, and although I miss the power, the 650 twin is more than enough for the type of riding that I do and is, by FAR, more comfortable. I also have an '08 KLR and the Versys seems to compliment it very well. I have yet to take it on any long trips, but am planning a 300 mile mountain excursion with some friends in the very near future. I've been "lurking" on the site for several weeks now, and really enjoy the site.

One mod that I intend to do immediately is to put some Coretec saddle bags on it. I was on the Happy Trails website the other day and saw their SL racks, which I would like to get to help support the bags, but the pic was for a KLR. I sent an email off asking if they had a pic so I could see what they looked like on the bike, how they mounted etc., but they responded that they didn't have any. Is anyone else running these racks? Is there a better option for coretech soft bags?

·
Premium Member
16,190 Posts
:welcome:

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Welcome, what year was your Z1000, ive got a Ninja 1000 and do like the engine but find the versys a lot more comfortable and flickable and the versys is just as quick if not quicker on tight twisty roads.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I also noticed the pics of the SL racks were on KLR. I assume they meant they didn't have pics of the V mounting. I ordered a set on Nelson Rigg CL 950's today. They look like they will work fairly well without support brackets. If not I will see what I can come up with. WELCOME and thanks for your service.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was an '07. Great bike...really fast, but not comfortable at all for longer rides. I miss the power, but the Versys seems to have plenty for carving up the mountain twisties! I don't regret the trade at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Jim. I'm retiring here in September after 24 years and look forward to civilian life.

I looked through a thread on this site last week which had several pics of guys with soft bags, but those without supports seemed to dip inwards toward the tire. With a heavy load, I'm afraid they'll rub on the tire and destroy the bags. I saw a Givi support that looked like it could work too, but haven't researched it yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts