Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obligatory newcomer post here. So I'm not a rider myself - at least not yet. Reason I'm getting an account is because I'm trying to fix up a 2008 Versys 650.
Basically, my dad's bike was laid down 3 or 4 years ago. Not too much damage, and pretty much all cosmetic.

As a project, I'm going to:
1. Get it running again (new fuel, oil change, tires?)
2. Fix the issues from it being dumped (new fairings, foot pegs, brake handle, ect.)

Now, I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but have never really worked on bikes before, so I need some info on sourcing parts as well as what maintenance I might need to do on it, seeing as it hasn't been started up at all in the years that it was sitting. Luckily, it has been garage stored, and I live in a fairly dry climate, so no visible corrosion is present.

This is going to be sort of a winter project for me, and I'm hoping that come spring (or sooner) I'll be able to get out there!

Nice meeting you all

-Nordic

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
Check eBay ....When i wreck my 09 i got everything i needed from there...

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Welcome From Canada

:welcome:to the forum
As to plastic, I think there may be at least one side on this forum. The MK-1 is about $180 a side.
Post the mileage on the bike. Brake fluid change, engine oil and filter, possibly drive chain and sprockets. First is he mileage and a better to do list will come along. If the valve shim hasn't been done, this would be a good time to do it

:feedback:

·
Super Moderator
19,119 Posts
:welcome: aboard!

I have several of the Gen 1 plastic 'bits' available, from a black '07 - BOTH side fairings, BOTH lower engine black fairings, BOTH silver plastic fairings that the turn-sigs go thru, BOTH slim black fairings that go along the edge of the seat, BOTH mirrors, a complete headlight set-up, and a front fender (blue) from an '09.

Some of the pieces are scratched, so PM me if interested.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Memory 101

I have several of the Gen 1 plastic 'bits' available, from a black '07 - BOTH side fairings, BOTH lower engine black fairings, BOTH silver plastic fairings that the turn-sigs go thru, BOTH slim black fairings that go along the edge of the seat, BOTH mirrors, a complete headlight set-up, and a front fender (blue) from an '09.

Like I said, at least one side , thought the side fairings had been sold, this is a awesome site, response within 24 hours, better than some suppliers.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:welcome:to the forum
As to plastic, I think there may be at least one side on this forum. The MK-1 is about $180 a side.
Post the mileage on the bike. Brake fluid change, engine oil and filter, possibly drive chain and sprockets. First is he mileage and a better to do list will come along. If the valve shim hasn't been done, this would be a good time to do it

:feedback:
So today I figured out that the bike is a 2009 model, not a 2008 model as I originally thought. Also, the bike only has 7600 miles on it. The registration for it said that is expired in 2013, so it hasn't been ridden in 4 years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Unfortunately it says that I can't send private messages because my post count it too low.
I'd definitely be interested in the plastic parts that the turn signals go through -the ones on the bike are broken from when the turn signals broke off. Those will fit an 09, right?

·
Super Moderator
19,119 Posts
Unfortunately it says that I can't send private messages because my post count it too low.
I'd definitely be interested in the plastic parts that the turn signals go through -the ones on the bike are broken from when the turn signals broke off. Those will fit an 09, right?
They're they're the same for the '07, '08 and '09, the Gen 1s.

These are the ones I have.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
As OF Now PM ++

The time clock is up, you should be able to PM.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The time clock is up, you should be able to PM.
So maybe I'm clicking on the wrong thing, but when I click on your username to get to the little drop down menu, then click on "send message via email" it redirects me to a page saying that my post count must be 20. When I click to go to your profile, then click on send message, it again sends me to the same post count page..

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Email /PM

So maybe I'm clicking on the wrong thing, but when I click on your username to get to the little drop down menu, then click on "send message via email" it redirects me to a page saying that my post count must be 20. When I click to go to your profile, then click on send message, it again sends me to the same post count page..
I happen to have both, email is a last resort as if I reply that gives the sender my email, this email address is sort of a catch all as like many people it is a secondary address. So did you try sending a PM instead of a email, as PM should now work. You should also have received one from me Testing PM, if you did, the right hand corner click quote and type a message and send it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I happen to have both, email is a last resort as if I reply that gives the sender my email, this email address is sort of a catch all as like many people it is a secondary address. So did you try sending a PM instead of a email, as PM should now work. You should also have received one from me Testing PM, if you did, the right hand corner click quote and type a message and send it.
Yeah so "send private message" and quick reply weren't there at all yesterday, but they're working today! Thank you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts