Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about a versys for my next bike next season. I've also been considering the V-Strom, but I'm leaning more towards the Versys.

·
Premium Member
16,152 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
welcome

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I'm thinking about a versys for my next bike next season. I've also been considering the V-Strom, but I'm leaning more towards the Versys.
Lean a bit further in and pull the trigger, You won't be disappointed. The very exposed position of the V-Strom oil filter was the deciding factor for me. I know the Versys filter isn't exactly protected but it's somewhat sheltered. What type of riding do you plan to do?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Choose Carefully.. Different bikes, different Styles. In Stock form the Strom is Generally the better long distance mount.. More Comftorable with more passenger room, and better protection. Oil Filter aside it is also considered by some to be the better backwoods explorer bike, although many here may say otherwise. The Versys seems to be the better handling bike, more spirited engine, and more fun riding at a faster pace in the twisty's. Both bikes have fuel injection that is pretty much spot on from the factory, both are extremely reliable with few weakness other than personal preference, and will carry you far, far from home.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm mostly going to be commuting, and I'm moving Illinois ---> California this coming summer. The last time I did this ride, I was on a little Ninja, so I'm sure both will be plenty comfortable for me. I'm like to buy one this winter, been looking all around Central Illinois, but I might have to go a bit further.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I think many that prefer the weestrom do so for the larger front wheel and the softer suspension.

most how prefer the versys seem to find it to be more fun.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm mostly going to be commuting, and I'm moving Illinois ---> California this coming summer. The last time I did this ride, I was on a little Ninja, so I'm sure both will be plenty comfortable for me. I'm like to buy one this winter, been looking all around Central Illinois, but I might have to go a bit further.
Are you looking for new/used? And which generation?

Here's a new one at the dealer I bought mine from. They treat ya well (for a dealership) and are a large powersports dealer.

http://www.atvsandmor.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=1401637&p=1&s=Year&d=D&t=new&sq=versys&fr=xNewInventory

·
Super Moderator
19,160 Posts
:welcome:

Try to find MOTORCYCLIST magazine from a few months back, in which they compared the 2015 Versys vs the Wee Strom.

They UNANIMOUSLY picked the Versys...!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I looked closely at both and chose the Versys because most of my preferred riding is in the twisties and everything I heard and read told me that this would be the better bike. I didn't test ride both so I can't claim this is the case, but I can say that I'm very, very happy with my choice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm looking used, and I'm not strict on the gen. I see they have a nice blue '09 for 4K, which I might have to look into more. Salem isn't too bad from Peoria.

Thanks for the link!
I just left Salem the other day. My family and my wife's family is from Southern IL, tho we are located in Kansas. We are also moving to Cali in just a few weeks, to the Bay Area. Where are you heading?

I just picked up a new left over 2014 for $4700 from St Charles MO -- not too terribly far from you. Store is Big St Charles Motorsports. I think they have a few used ones in there too.?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just picked up a new left over 2014 for $4700 from St Charles MO -- not too terribly far from you. Store is Big St Charles Motorsports. I think they have a few used ones in there too.?
Hmm I checked out the site, they have a pretty good selection as well. I'll have to keep them in my regular searches. Also, I'm moving to Orange County, maybe we'll meet up in a Southern California ride sometime.

Thanks for the heads up on the site.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hmm I checked out the site, they have a pretty good selection as well. I'll have to keep them in my regular searches. Also, I'm moving to Orange County, maybe we'll meet up in a Southern California ride sometime.

Thanks for the heads up on the site.
They have a huge selection. I recommend you go online looking for leftover 2014s.. That's what I did and told them my limit.

There's a used 2013 here in KC with 1400 miles for $4700.

I have family in SoCal, so we will be visiting often. I'm originally from LA. I'm looking forward to no more ice and snow!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Been studying both for a while now. Going with the Versys. I don't like the oil filter hanging out the way it does on the V-Strom. Odd that it came down to that but everything else is so close, it becomes the deciding factor. Don't think you can go wrong with either.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
It seems most of us here have done the VStrom/Versys comparison. Both are great bikes but also very different to ride. Versys has superior on pavement handling, quicker steering, firmer suspension (at default settings) and slightly more omph at low RPMs and most magazine reviewers tend to agree with me. Guess that's why I'm here.

That said like all bikes the Versys is even better with a few accessories. Which accessories will depend on your intended use. There are lots of after market parts available for the bike from larger windshields to hard bags to crash bars, etc..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts