Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

After the 4th repair of my lower fairing, on black Friday I decided to buy the hepco becker rock guard, which I got in January.

BIG WARNING: the left bracket (even after the plate is off) will block the oil brain bolt.

The bracket is not hollow enough to pass the bolt through, much less a 17mm socket (usually about 25mm outer diameter). There is only 10mm of space between the drain plug and the bracket, so the drain bolt (which is 15mm long) cannot be removed!

The only way to remove the drain bolt (see 5 non-alternative below) is to actually loosen the lower engine bolt and pull the bracket away, but you need to know that this requires you to remove the right side peg assembly just to reach the nut.

In other words, what should be a no-brainer 1 drain bolt to remove is now requiring to disassemble stuff from the bike!

Alternatives considered but rejected:
(1) not you cannot shorten the drain plug; that would impose lowering the torque to avoid stripping it, and low torque means it could loosen while riding.
(2) no you cannot add a spacer between engine and bracket, because the 270mm engine bolt will not be long enough to allow the nut on the other side. There is no thickness to shave on the other side either as the plate mounting bolts are nearly touching the muffler already. One would need to find a M10x280mm bolt, grade 8.8. Good luck...
(3) no you cannot cut a larger hole in the bracket; the amount to remove would weaken too much the bottom 'leg'.
(4) one could attempt to bend this bracket away, but it is 7mm thick steel, and the alu panel would have to be bent out of shape to mount it back.
(5) one could machine a recess in the bracket inner side to clear 4mm which might be enough given the crush washer is taking about 1mm. But that weakens the bracket down to 3mm tick only. Also, if I had such equipment, I'd have already made my own bracket by now.

At the moment the case is opened.
The vendor (motomachines) is not understanding the issue at all (they appear to play dumb) and has not committed to fix it nor to refund.
The manufacturer (hepco becker) say they will check with development, but isn't committing either to fix it.
If either is watching, I'll be more than happy to tell the success story for you, if you fix this (in the next 2 months).

For members here, I thought you should know before buying this defective design.

PS: I have more to say about my installation, regarding how it plays with crashbars, highway pegs and engine guards...Just not yet.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
Well ain't that some chit. Hope you get it resolved.

When I bought the radiator guard for my Versys, the company thought it mounted the same as the Gen 1 bikes, but Kawasaki made some changes. I was able to work directly with the manufacturer to revolve the issue and improve the kit for future purchasers.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The vendor has done nothing, not even offer refund.
I asked the manufacturer to commit to fix, and they will not.
Frak'em all.

DO NOT BUY unless you are willing and capable of doing this at your own expense and time (about 40$ with the metal-capable 1-1/4" hole saw and rustproof paint). You'll go through 3 (poor quality) cutting disks (grinder).

Don't forget you'll need a 10mm drill bit, or a lot of wiggling of a 3/8" bit) to get the 10mm bolt through the top hole. The others 1/4" are fine for the 6mm bolts.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi all,

After the 4th repair of my lower fairing, on black Friday I decided to buy the hepco becker rock guard, which I got in January.

BIG WARNING: the left bracket (even after the plate is off) will block the oil brain bolt.

The bracket is not hollow enough to pass the bolt through, much less a 17mm socket (usually about 25mm outer diameter). There is only 10mm of space between the drain plug and the bracket, so the drain bolt (which is 15mm long) cannot be removed!

The only way to remove the drain bolt (see 5 non-alternative below) is to actually loosen the lower engine bolt and pull the bracket away, but you need to know that this requires you to remove the right side peg assembly just to reach the nut.

In other words, what should be a no-brainer 1 drain bolt to remove is now requiring to disassemble stuff from the bike!

Alternatives considered but rejected:
(1) not you cannot shorten the drain plug; that would impose lowering the torque to avoid stripping it, and low torque means it could loosen while riding.
(2) no you cannot add a spacer between engine and bracket, because the 270mm engine bolt will not be long enough to allow the nut on the other side. There is no thickness to shave on the other side either as the plate mounting bolts are nearly touching the muffler already. One would need to find a M10x280mm bolt, grade 8.8. Good luck...
(3) no you cannot cut a larger hole in the bracket; the amount to remove would weaken too much the bottom 'leg'.
(4) one could attempt to bend this bracket away, but it is 7mm thick steel, and the alu panel would have to be bent out of shape to mount it back.
(5) one could machine a recess in the bracket inner side to clear 4mm which might be enough given the crush washer is taking about 1mm. But that weakens the bracket down to 3mm tick only. Also, if I had such equipment, I'd have already made my own bracket by now.

At the moment the case is opened.
The vendor (motomachines) is not understanding the issue at all (they appear to play dumb) and has not committed to fix it nor to refund.
The manufacturer (hepco becker) say they will check with development, but isn't committing either to fix it.
If either is watching, I'll be more than happy to tell the success story for you, if you fix this (in the next 2 months).

For members here, I thought you should know before buying this defective design.

PS: I have more to say about my installation, regarding how it plays with crashbars, highway pegs and engine guards...Just not yet.
this sucks. are you sure that shaving that bit which is blocking the drain nut will weaken the attachment too much? these things are usually over-engineered and the skid plate does not have to be that strong. with SW motech I do not have this issue, and I can drain the oil with the skid plate on.

there is always a risk with fitting all kind of after market accessories. the skid plate can interfere with the crash bars, or the main stand, and so on. i know someone who got an expensive Akra full system, which does not fit neither with skid plate nor the main main stand. i have leo vince which does not interfere with anything. but when I ordered Hepco main stand, I was not sure if it would fit with already installed SW motech skid plate, but at the end it was ok.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
are you sure that shaving that bit which is blocking the drain nut will weaken the attachment too much?
Yes. The bracket plan on the left shows well there would have been barely 1-2mm left only.

with SW motech I do not have this issue, and I can drain the oil with the skid plate on.
SW front bracket are outside and certain to interfere with crashbars or highway pegs. HB ones are inside the engine bracket, clear of everything. That's why I chose them.

there is always a risk with fitting all kind of after market accessories.
Here the bad bracket doesn't even involve anything else than the bike itself. It's just pure shortsighted design.

·
Registered
682 Posts
my sw motech skid plate seems to fit nicely with HB main stand, and local brand crash bars, and no issue with draining engine oil. as I said, these things are over engineered. I am not sure, but you could be possibly just fine cutting off the part that interferes with the engine oil bolt. after all, it is just on one side.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not sure, but you could be possibly just fine cutting off the part that interferes with the engine oil bolt. after all, it is just on one side.
I solved this in post #3, without making it flimsy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts