Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ser of driving lights and lost the instructions.from the switch is a red, black and white wire. The white goes to the relay. The black and red hook to ?
From the relay is two wires, black and red , red is fused, these go to battery
My problem is what to hook the black and red wire from the on and off switch. I took picture of it. It's the group on right.
Blue Electrical wiring Audio equipment Gas Electrical supply
Blue Electrical wiring Audio equipment Gas Electrical supply

·
Registered
39 Posts
My switch has a lamp in it that lights up when driving lights are on. So mine also had 3 leads. You need a source of power, you may want it switched power, only on when bike is running. You have the output to the relay control input. If the switch has a lamp it will need a ground to allow the lamp to work.
Keep in mind I am describing mine, cannot tell enough from your description and pics.
Need to get it right the 1st time so no damage occurs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It looks to me like the red and black on the relay Connect to the battery like you said. the red and black coming from the switch black should Connect to a ground and the red should Connect to a switched power source that only is hot when your key is on and that sends the signal to the relay to switch it on via the white wire when you turn the light switch to on. If you Connect the red switch wire to a constant power source you will be able to leave the lights on with the bike shut off and drain your battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts
From what I can see.

Red positive+
Black Negative -
In both cases.

The white is the switched current that energizes the relay. That the switch has three wires suggests it has a lamp to indicate "On"

Take the battery out of the bike and connect it all up on the bench.

Image below shows circuitry but the wire colours are not the same as yours.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I remembered I put the relay in the front so I could power USB outlet, so I already have a power source. Had to remove the body work up front, Wanted to update to LED lighting and needed all the access I could get.. I just need to
install the switch and button her up, and she will be done for a while.
I am retired now but I worked third shift for 14 years with a 26 mile commute one way through Indiana back roads. I
needed lots of light. I totaled three bikes in 15 years, mostly because of me not seeing Deer. I want to have a better view
and should now have it.
By the way shame on me. I got this bike in March and have not rode it after sunset yet.

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Well I remembered I put the relay in the front so I could power USB outlet, so I already have a power source. Had to remove the body work up front, Wanted to update to LED lighting and needed all the access I could get.. I just need to
install the switch and button her up, and she will be done for a while.
I am retired now but I worked third shift for 14 years with a 26 mile commute one way through Indiana back roads. I
needed lots of light. I totaled three bikes in 15 years, mostly because of me not seeing Deer. I want to have a better view
and should now have it.
By the way shame on me. I got this bike in March and have not rode it after sunset yet.
After I totaled the 1st bike hitting a deer I would have bought a cage to ride to work.

I pretty much just ride during daylight hours now, but when I commuted to work I would have to ride in the dark going in at least 6 months out of the year. I've had deer cross in front of me, run beside me, turn around and run back into the woods, and one time in fog, 3 of them just stood in the road while I braked hard and came to a stop before they moved on.

When on road trips I never rode in the dark. Seeing all the fresh roadkill in the mornings made me glad I made that decision.

·
Super Moderator
20,744 Posts
I have VERY loud WOLO Bad Boy horns in both my current V650s, and whenever I see a deer up ahead I immediately begin braking while sounding the horn. SO FAR they've ALL run off the road before I got to them, and usually started running at the sound of the horn.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been very lucky, so far all of the Deer collisions have been killing the bike but not putting me down
on pavement. Most happened on a 84 goldwing interstate. Just took the insurance money and rebuilt the
bike. While it was in repair I rode my Nighthawk S,( shoulda kept it.) or my 650 Hawk GT. The only time I hit deer was on a quiet bike. If I had to ride at night on a regular basis now I would install a Leo Vince system
on it.
Gonna be dark in a hour so I will go out and try out my lights

1 - 10 of 10 Posts