Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I was adjusting my chain slack 2 minutes ago and after completion, I started spinning the wheel to make sure the chain slack was even.

I noticed that at a certain point there was close to no slack at all :eek:, other chain sections were ok.

Does that mean the chain is toasted? I searched the forum prior asking but did not find anything.

:confused::confused:
Thx in advance for your help!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Proper Chain Slack

Adjust the chain slack with the chain in the tightest, least slack, position. At the tightest position the slack should measure between 1.0" (25.4mm) and 1.4" (35.5mm). Tighten, or loosen, the chain adjusters nut until the slack at the tightest position measures as above. Then tighten, re-torque, the axle nut.
Recheck chain slack as above, re-adjust as necessary so that chain slack at the tightest position is in spec. If not, repeat above procedure until slack is correct.
That's all there is to it!:goodluck:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for the quick reply! So should I take this as beeing normal to have 1 inch difference between tightest and slackest position? I have close to 20 000km on the bike.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
One inch is considerable. I don't know what the usual difference limit would be, but I had to replace my original chain and sprockets at 4000 Kms for the same reason. It also didn't like being broken in hard.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I think I will bring it to my dealer to have it changed. I like to get lost on gravel roads for hours away from any cell tower, I kinda lost confidence on the bike right now. Can't imagine what would happen if the chain jammed that far from any possible contact.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yeah, I think I will bring it to my dealer to have it changed. I like to get lost on gravel roads for hours away from any cell tower, I kinda lost confidence on the bike right now. Can't imagine what would happen if the chain jammed that far from any possible contact.
Wise decision. 20k is very decent out of the chain, and it sounds like you have a tight spot in it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I noticed that at a certain point there was close to no slack at all :eek:, other chain sections were ok.

Does that mean the chain is toasted? I searched the forum prior asking but did not find anything.

:confused::confused:
Thx in advance for your help!
Your chain has a section that is stretched. I would replace the chain. I did with my chain when it was exhibiting the same issue.

Just watch the first 30 seconds of this video.

The exact same thing happened with my bike. One section was tight and you would roll the tire and then you would have a section with lots of slack.

I went ahead and got new sprockets and a new EK chain from sprocketcenter.com.

520 Chain Kit - SUPERLITE RSX Steel Sprocket Set with Choice of Chain

KAWASAKI 650 Versys
FRONT SPROCKET SIZE 15 Tooth - STOCK SIZE
REAR SPROCKET SIZE 46 Tooth - STOCK SIZE
SELECT CHAIN BRAND | MODEL EK 520MVXZ2

·
Super Moderator
19,149 Posts
...I noticed that at a certain point there was close to no slack at all :eek:, other chain sections were ok..Does that mean the chain is toasted?...
YES - it's 'toast'!

...So should I take this as beeing normal to have 1 inch difference between tightest and slackest position? ...
NOPE - NOT normal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts