Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally found the black highway pegs I've been after since I bought my bike 9 or 10 months ago. Now my problem is they don't fit.

It seems the 1in Rivco bar clamps are too big for what I thought was my 1 inch SW crash bar.. bars.

So looking at the pictures below. How can I get these 1 inch clamps to work? Returning them isn't really an option, and they don't make smaller ones. Yes there are other bar clamps on the market, but they are nearly $100 more.

So I'm basically looking for something to shim into the gap. As you can see from the pictures I've currently got a section of radiator hose in there to hold the pegs up, but if I attempt to put my feet on them, they rotate around the bars.

·
Super Moderator
19,006 Posts
Just went out to the shop and "mic'd" my S-Ws - the bar ABOVE where you mounted the pegs - the horizontal bar - is 1.041" on MINE!

:exactly:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rode my bike in to work today and had some of our mechanics take a look at the problem. We removed the radiator hose and replaced it with copper tubing wrapped around the bar. The clamps still slipped.

The final solution that worked was to remove one of the above pictured screws, drill a 1/4 inch hole all the way through the clamp and crash bars, insert a black bolt and tighten a nut onto the backside.

Problem solved and still looks new and professional.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Rode my bike in to work today and had some of our mechanics take a look at the problem. We removed the radiator hose and replaced it with copper tubing wrapped around the bar. The clamps still slipped.

The final solution that worked was to remove one of the above pictured screws, drill a 1/4 inch hole all the way through the clamp and crash bars, insert a black bolt and tighten a nut onto the backside.

Problem solved and still looks new and professional.
Possible to take a pic of what you did? Gonna have to do the same for mine. I think I know what you mean but would like to make sure.

·
Premium Member
16,111 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Possible to take a pic of what you did? Gonna have to do the same for mine. I think I know what you mean but would like to make sure.

I scraped up the crash bars while trying various fixes, but what the hell... they are just crash bars right?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Word of advice for anyone ordering the clamps or footpegs.... Don't use Amazon. It was a nightmare dealing with both of the sellers.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the pics! :thumb: Think the copper pipe you stil have in there is necessary with the bolt going through?
There is an 1/8th inch gap between the clamp and the bar. The copper tubing helped fill that gap and hold the clamp tighter to the bar, it just wasn't tight enough to prevent slipping. I'd think you would want something to fill that gap to prevent rattling and some play.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts