Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I got a '15 Versys 650 LT and the previous owner installed
OEM grip heater, OEM gear indicator, and a non-OEM 12V outlet.

Everything has been working fine until I made a silly mistake, to plug in an air compressor and believe I can pump some air into tires :badidea:
Now, everything I listed above (grip heater, gear indicator, and 12V outlet) went dead together.

Based on my kindergarten-level experience & knowledge with motor vehicles, I believe this could be a fuse related issue. Therefore, I searched thru the owner's manual and found something called "electric accessory connector" and it seems to have a 5A fuse connected to it.

Here are the questions:
1. Where is this 5A fuse located? Owner's manual does not indicate this part.
2. What type/model of the fuse it is and can I buy it from 3rd party supplier such as Amazon?
3. If the fuse is replaced, would it resolve the issue listed above?

I will go ahead and check those major (easy to locate) fuses and continue to search online.
Will really appreciate if any of you can share some insight with me.

Thanks in advance and ride safe!
James

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi James,

See if this helps.

1. I believe most, if not all of, your fuses are in a fuse block located under the seat-- remove the seat and take a look
2. Find and pull the blown fuse and take it to your local auto parts store-- likely find a match there
3. Without doing the above, it's hard to say, but logic leads me to believe that this will resolve and get you back to previous function

Also, may want to check the path of wiring and see of the previous owner installed an inline fuse that may be blown. Sometimes people will add an inline fuse for an "accessory circuit".

Keep us posted. You'll find it.

Hello All,

Everything has been working fine until I made a silly mistake, to plug in an air compressor and believe I can pump some air into tires :badidea:
Now, everything I listed above (grip heater, gear indicator, and 12V outlet) went dead together.

Based on my kindergarten-level experience & knowledge with motor vehicles, I believe this could be a fuse related issue. Therefore, I searched thru the owner's manual and found something called "electric accessory connector" and it seems to have a 5A fuse connected to it.

Here are the questions:
2. What type/model of the fuse it is and can I buy it from 3rd party supplier such as Amazon?

I will go ahead and check those major (easy to locate) fuses and continue to search online.

James

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi bwwoodard,

Thank you so much for the quick advice.
I will go ahead and check as much as I can and provide updates shortly (maybe with some photo)
Much appreciated!

James

·
Registered
350 Posts
Air compressors draw a lot of amps (10?) many motorcycle 12V ports are only rated for 2-4 amps as they are intended to charge phones etc.. the 12V port may have its own fuse. Good chance you just blew a fuse/s.

·
Administrator
8,361 Posts
Check your fuse box and go through one by one and replace as you find a blown fuse. Cigar lighter should have a separate fuse for it. Take the seat off and take it from there.

Just be slow and patience with yourself. You can do it if you just put your mind to it.

:goodluck:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hello All,

Here are the questions:

James
It *is* possible (however very unlikely) that the relay packed up. Never seen it, but then I've never seen the Northern Lights at high noon either.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Once you get everything back to normal, you might want to consider replacing the plug on the air compressor with clamps like THESE so that you can just hook it to the battery directly as needed. This will avoid blowing relatively low amperage circuits such as the one that the OEM electrical socket is on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all the info, didn't expect to see that much replies thou :)

It turns out James made another silly mistake again :(
The culprit is a blown 5A fuse, and it was located just next to the larger fuse box under the seat.

Reason why I didn't see it before was because a wire (relatively thick one) was on top of it, which perfectly covered the mini fuse box.
Once I saw the mini fuse box, I noticed there is a "5A ACC" on the label... and I was like... Ooops, how can I miss this!?

So, as suggested, I pulled the spare 5A fuse from the box and replaced the blown one.
Everything is back to normal now and I really should have checked more carefully before posting such a (kind of meaningless) thread.
Thank you all for the help again, and I hope my silliness can be helpful to someone in the future.

Attached an image which has both Large and Small fuse boxes under the seat.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOG6ij2houDHTdm1u7QAZDuvil4dhipdxwMnJUDOypooa-PKgdnTaCReLJ0oBIPzA?key=aWNYdHlyRkQzRXBiQVBSYmZlczAxRkVCSXZKTTZR

·
Super Moderator
20,919 Posts
...Everything is back to normal now and I really should have checked more carefully before posting such a (kind of meaningless) thread.
Thank you all for the help again, and I hope my silliness can be helpful to someone in the future....
We ALL have "brain-farts" at one time or another, tho' we try NOT to admit it....

:rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts