Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so since this is the second time writing this I will make it dramatically shorter (my computer somehow dumped what I was typing previously for this post). If you guys need more details I will be glad to give them in subsequent posts. So my bike won't start.......no that's not the whole post. So key turned to on, everything works as normal. Flip red switch in preparation to start the bike, and lcd screen goes blank, dash backlight flickers, and FI light flashes. This only happens for 3-4 seconds then all is back to normal. I then proceed to push the start button, and lcd goes blank, and all the previous happens, but with some clicking like a starter working and the bike not turining over. I try to start the bike several more times and in that time pinpoint where the clicking is coming from. As far as I know it is not the starter, but I am a retard (no offense to anyone) and could be wrong. So you will notice in the middle of the pictures a red plug. That is the central location of the clicking. I have no idea what this part is, of if it can be fixed short of replacing it, of if that is the cause of my problem at all. Any guidance from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL, I knew someone would say that......it was on a Battery Tender for about 24hrs before being installed....and yes it was charged.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Clicking and no turnover when starting is a classic low/dead/bad battery problem. Is this a brand new battery? You may want to have it tested at the local auto supply shop...

·
Premium Member
16,271 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys. My game plan is to let it sit on the Tender for another 24hrs. I will try it out again tomorrow. Depending on what happens then, I will probably just invest in a new battery. If it doesn't work with a new battery then, I can always return it, and go a different route.

·
Super Moderator
20,095 Posts
IF you're already heading for a new battery, my suggestion - buy an AGM (absorbed-glass-matt) one. :thumb:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'll agree with the others; it sounds like a bad battery. I've never heard of any company which will allow the return of a battery, so you should consider doing some testing with a meter or getting some help from a competent friend. Failing those, have the thing load tested before you buy a new one. They'll probably do it for free where you're planning to buy the new one.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Check for loose or corroded battery terminal connections. Make sure they're good and tight.
That could cause your starter relay to click on and off as heard.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So all you guys were right. The battery was DEAD, put a new AGM battery in it today and it fired right up. Thanks for the guidance.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I would still try to return the first battery. You never know there could have been a bad batch and you could get some cash back.. Never hurts ask.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Zombie post!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts