Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have been thinking about buying another motorcycle but came to the conclusion that it is more cost effective to modify my Versys to have exactly what I want! So exhaust wise, if anybody has some input on either exhaust that might help seal the deal...feel free to chime in. So far I have these two in mind:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/261653567454?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

http://m.ebay.com/itm/261807789145?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

·
Premium Member
16,143 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,143 Posts
Any reason in particular? I like the sound of the MiVV but I like the look of the Gianelli better

I was going by looks only. Haven't heard either one of them. But most of the exhaust sound pretty similar.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
MIVV is made of stainless steel instead of aluminum... It's probably better quality and more dependable. I choose # 1.

http://www.mivv.it/en/contenuto_statico.asp?cs=62

State of the art construction techniques, and an 'old style' design. This is the winning combination that characterizes our 'X-cone'.

They have mainly been conceived for installation on naked and super-sports models, on models with futuristic, but also retro designs, where the conical shapes can be fully matched to the overall look, or can create an exciting contrast.
The clearly 'seventies' feel, with its undoubtedly passionate nature, of our X-cone terminal (the body has a brushed finish), is supported by a top class construction and the utmost attention to detail. AISI 304 stainless steel with extremely high resistance, made of sheet with a thickness of 0.8 mm only, for minimum weight.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the stock exhaust and wouldn't change it but the saying goes,"Loud pipes save lives." I see way to many motorists on their damn phones and if a louder exhaust gets their attention then I am all for it. I'm also going to get a louder horn as well.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
I like the stock exhaust and wouldn't change it but the saying goes,"Loud pipes save lives." I see way to many motorists on their damn phones and if a louder exhaust gets their attention then I am all for it. I'm also going to get a louder horn as well.
A loud pipe only helps if you are slowly passing a car on a 4 lane road.

The majority of motorcycle wrecks involving a car are from the car turning left in front of you, or the car pulling out from a side street. In those scenarios a loud pipe does nothing. Additional lighting, hi viz, and a weave pattern help keep you noticed.

I have seen bikes approachin from the rear while on the interstate that were running very loud pipes. I never heard them until their exhaust outlet was parallel with the side of my truck. They were loudest when just in front of me.

With these modern cars, I barely can hear emergency vehicles until they are upon me, and I play my music at background volume.

·
Premium Member
16,143 Posts
That just what assholes say to being so obnoxious..Its more like "Loud Pipes Piss Off The Neighbors".

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
loud pipes make noise behind you , loud HORNS make noise IN FRONT of you......and are loud only when you need them to be

just my $.02

tho ill admit i wouldnt mind if the versys was a bit louder in the 5k+ range

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got some cash to burn and i figured its cheaper to put 5-1k in the Versys than buy a +2k dr650 to supermoto it. On my list I had exhaust, crash bars, hand guards, and lower kit from motowerks

·
Registered
106 Posts
Many of the lifestyle bikers that espouse that 'safety' hooey also wear a worthless brain bucket helmet; sometimes just a bandana, or nothing. Loud pipes are great for mental fatigue and hearing loss, but do they really save lives? Well, no. They provide riders some 'hey dig me' attention. Doppler Effect is another fact that shoots holes in the loud pipes argument. If you ride long distances, the last thing you really want is hours of ear splitting noise. My 2¢.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Many of the lifestyle bikers that espouse that 'safety' hooey also wear a worthless brain bucket helmet; sometimes just a bandana, or nothing. Loud pipes are great for mental fatigue and hearing loss, but do they really save lives? Well, no. They provide riders some 'hey dig me' attention. Doppler Effect is another fact that shoots holes in the loud pipes argument. If you ride long distances, the last thing you really want is hours of ear splitting noise. My 2¢.
Thank you for your opinion. So which exhaust do you think I should get or are you not done trying to defecate on someone else's purchase?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Leo Vince is the only manufacturer I am aware of that makes an underbody specific exhaust for the Versys. It also looks and sounds great but is pricey.

That said, for the money spent vs performance gain on the Versys, I'm not sure any exhaust mod is worth the money, especially when you throw in the annoyance and sometimes law enforcement issues that come with a very loud exhaust. Any weight saving in the underbody mounting position will be unnoticeable, unlike bikes with higher mounted cans. What I'm saying is do it because you really like the sound and it's not obscenely loud or you like the look, but don't do it for the performance unless you also have a power commander or some other way to adjust fuel mapping to exploit a freer flowing exhaust.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Thank you for your opinion. So which exhaust do you think I should get or are you not done trying to defecate on someone else's purchase?
I don't care if you change your exhaust, but saying science is an opinion shows why you think loud pipes save lives.

Buy one because you like the sound. Don't try and justify the purchase based on fallacy.

·
Registered
322 Posts
so.... DR650 SM is the direction? first thing I would do is what I just did for my bike... buy extra wheels to mount different tires. I'm goin more dirt worthy though.... TKCs on one set, street tires on the other. used Versys wheels are cheap! if you are looking for a power bump or a shift in range with the exhaust I'm guessing you would also need a Power Commander to get the benefit. choice of mufflers... for me it would be the one that helps power the most without getting too loud. I have an FMF Q4 on my KLR & that is as loud as I want... on long trips that drones on enough to be noticeable. any more noise than that would be unpleasant and not beneficial for my intended use.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts