Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the best method to hooking up the Garmin Direct power cord.Is it just straight to the battery or something more detailed:feedback:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Switched or unswitched?

Whats the best method to hooking up the Garmin Direct power cord.Is it just straight to the battery or something more detailed:feedback:
I've got mine hooked up directly to the battery for now so that it stays on when I turn the bike off. It's quick and easy to do that. I've picked up a fuzeblock though, and once I get around to installing it, I'll probably hook the Zumo 660 up to it, still always-on. You might want to consider hooking up to the battery just to see how you like it, and if you decide to go to a 'switched' setup, it'll be an easy change to make.

·
Premium Member
7,812 Posts

I hot wired it from the Cigar Plug. Since the original Garmin wire had a fuse, no worries. Garmin is on when bike is switch ON.
No problem. I use Zumo 500.:goodluck:
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
16,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:thanx: :thumb: Thanks guys, When i woke up this morning the thought of splicing into the cigarette plug came to me.Glad to see someone has tried it without any problems and its a heck of alot easier too.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I started with m GPS tied to the license-plate light. Then it powered on/off with the key. Then I added an auxiliary light. The later I wanted to add other lights and realized I should have added a relay at the beginning. So, I added the Fuzeblock, FZ-1, and now use that to add my other ideas that need power. I did make one change: I trigger the Fuzeblock with the low-beam light power. So, my auxiliary power comes on when the engine starts, avoiding extra power demand when starting.

My lesson: Try to plan out your power needs before you start adding things one at a time.

·
Premium Member
16,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought i had it planned out by adding the cigarette power outlet. Just to plug the gps into that but with the garmin mount you have to use the power cord. The car mount can be used with the cigarette plug end. I'm done adding anything else that draws power.Only thing left is a seat and maybe crash bars. Thanks for the advice on the Fuzeblock if i keep finding things to add to the V i'll get one

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I took out the rear light fuse under the seat and just shoved a 1/4' of the stripped wire wire in the socket, shoved the fuse back in. Its been like that for 25k miles and 2 years.

GPS comes on when I turn ignition on, but does not power down when you turn ignition off-you have to do that manually. But that's on a TomTom, maybe different on a Zumo.

Machog

·
Premium Member
16,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got an appointment at the dealership to get it squared away tomorrow. They have a great service department and treat you very fair in the actual hours worked. They put my 16t front sprocket on yesterday for $40.00. I'll put huggers and luggage racks on my bike but when it come to anything electrical or mechanical trust me it cheaper to have it done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts