Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing out sprockets and chain on a 2011. 15T front, 44T rear, Sunstar steel with a 112 DID 520 VX2 Xring chain.

Swapped out the sprockets, turned the tire adjusters most of the way in, double checked sprocket to sprocket alignment and then put the chain on....won't fit! One link too short.

Should I have bought the 114 size chain? Ugh!

·
Premium Member
16,147 Posts
Changing out sprockets and chain on a 2011. 15T front, 44T rear, Sunstar steel with a 112 DID 520 VX2 Xring chain.

Swapped out the sprockets, turned the tire adjusters most of the way in, double checked sprocket to sprocket alignment and then put the chain on....won't fit! One link too short.

This will help.....Gearing Commander: Motorcycle Speed, RPM, Chain & Sprockets Calculator But Yea, you needed the 114...:frown2:

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Damn, how in the world did I mess that up?! Must have been drinking while ordering.
That is one of the dangers of internet buying! I try to avoid eBay and Kijiji when quaffing beer, as the temptation to buy is not tempered by reason.
But I did say I try. Sometimes I don't succeed. >:)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Damn, how in the world did I mess that up?! Must have been drinking while ordering. Hopefully can sell it.
I never purchase anything on the net while drinking......... HA! :devil:

·
Registered
323 Posts
can't just add an extra master link, you'll need an extra plain link as well.... a mating pair so to speak. it can be done but I'd sell/trade it to somebody that can use it & get the right one. for instance, the KLR uses a 106, you can always cut a couple out

·
Registered
403 Posts
yeah you need 114. One of the local shops did chain and sprockets when I had tires put on.. Should have done it myself, they put a 112 on! and it was like a tightrope. I bought the cheapest RK gold X ring off amazon which was like a 120, and cut off 4 links.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts

Yeah, 114 like the original... Your rear sprocket may be 2 teeth smaller, but the chain wraps only the rear half of it where there is just one lesser tooth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts