Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Preface: model year 2009 battery is less than 2 years old, kept on a float charger through the winter. Stator looks great. No starting issues before now.

So today I was riding, and about 5 minutes into my ride the bike shut off at about 20 mph. Wasn't able to get it started again, heard clicking the first couple times then the panel went totally off. Flickered a couple times, came back on, I hit the starter, totally off again. Luckily I was able to pull into an empty parking lot with a slope. Bump started it, everything was great. 5 minutes back home and put it on the charger, fully charged in 2 minutes. Tried to start it, all the lights came on right away, hit the starter, all off again. Turned the key back to off, then on, nothing came on. Voltage tester reads 13v at the battery, leads are good. Every once in a while the lights will come on when I turn the key but it shuts down as soon as I hit the starter. Not sure how to proceed from here. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300; 14/46 sprockets (stock);
669 Posts
Check grounds?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Looks like an ignition key switch problem...

I had an ignition switch problem for a short time on my first 2009 ninja.
Nothing to do with the key (no amount of graphite will help).
It would be the internal contacts.
I don't know how but it went away with even more use.
(cycling the key a lot those days probably cleaned the contacts of oxydation/carbon deposit, dunno...).

Try that first (a dozen cycling full left full right). You can unplug the battery if you prefer not putting too much stress with all the on/off partcularly on the fuel pump.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check grounds?
Still reading 13v when testing on positive and chassis.

Looks like an ignition key switch problem...

I had an ignition switch problem for a short time on my first 2009 ninja.
Nothing to do with the key (no amount of graphite will help).
It would be the internal contacts.
I don't know how but it went away with even more use.
(cycling the key a lot those days probably cleaned the contacts of oxydation/carbon deposit, dunno...).

Try that first (a dozen cycling full left full right). You can unplug the battery if you prefer not putting too much stress with all the on/off partcularly on the fuel pump.
So the weird thing is when I turn the key absolutely nothing happens. If I start pushing the bike when the key is in the in position I'll start to get power, but the second I try to start I get one click and everything shuts off again.

·
Premium Member
11,119 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Bad batteries can do weird things. It is possible your battery is capable of making voltage without any load, but as soon as it gets loaded up it fails.

If you can disconnect the battery and jump from your car to the bike (excluding the bike's battery), you could isolate whether the problem is the battery or the bike.

If it is the bike, I would start with the simple things. Fuses, battery cables, grounds, ignition switch. It sounds like you know your way around a multimeter, so you should be able to easily check those items.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts