Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...can't get the cable end into the clutch cable holder....I've tried every way that seems possible, but it's as if the cable end is just a hair to large. I know it's the right Kawasaki cable. HELP!

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Jay - you probably need to PULL that cable-end in your pic about another 1/4", so that the cable goes thru the "notch".

IF you still can't seem to do it - loosen that bolt just on the right of "Pic 2" - holding down the cable - pull out the 1/4", slide it IN, then replace that bolt. SHOULD work for you.

:goodluck:
Ok, you lost me. I can pull MORE cable , but just used pic to show the end. I can get cable in slot, but the "head" of the cable won't rotate and lock into position in the box end.
What bolt just on the right of pic 2 are you referring to??
Thanks for the help, just not clear on what you are advising.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I got it. For anyone else interested. I could not get the end of the cable to go in, so I turned the shaft counter clockwise to get the clutch cable holder to face the rear of the bike. Then I inserted the end, and rotated the cable holder back towards the front, and now the cable is in the slot solidly and properly. Now that the cable is in, there is no way to stretch it to the clutch lever, so I simply removed the clutch lever, inserted the end of the cable, and re-attached the clutch lever. Ez peasy.
No clue how you can do this swap any other way.

·
Registered
759 Posts
:laugh: the forum need guys like you..you made my day:laugh2:
As much as I joke, because I'm still working on my "anger issues in wrenching", the rubber mallet is generally my "go-to" when I can't get things to fit! (AKA: "Because the sledge isn't around or I'd have used that!!! >:) )

·
Super Moderator
19,436 Posts
Ok, you lost me....What bolt just on the right of pic 2 are you referring to??
Thanks for the help, just not clear on what you are advising.
It's that small (6mm) bolt that captures the cable using the black piece of metal.

·
Premium Member
9,198 Posts
Easier way

Ok, I got it. For anyone else interested. I could not get the end of the cable to go in, so I turned the shaft counter clockwise to get the clutch cable holder to face the rear of the bike. Then I inserted the end, and rotated the cable holder back towards the front, and now the cable is in the slot solidly and properly. Now that the cable is in, there is no way to stretch it to the clutch lever, so I simply removed the clutch lever, inserted the end of the cable, and re-attached the clutch lever. Ez peasy.
No clue how you can do this swap any other way.
Have a look at the clutch actuator , I have pulled the clutch in, while inserting a piece of 1/2 inch plywood. You now have all kinds of slack at the clutch lever , enough you can take it apart, no tools required, lube the cable with a cable lubber and put it back together.Simple and quick. You can also easily pry the actuator. I just did that a week ago, conversation of broken clutch cables reminded me to check the cable and lube it :thumb::thumb:Good for another 10K

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have a look at the clutch actuator , I have pulled the clutch in, while inserting a piece of 1/2 inch plywood. You now have all kinds of slack at the clutch lever , enough you can take it apart, no tools required, lube the cable with a cable lubber and put it back together.Simple and quick. You can also easily pry the actuator. I just did that a week ago, conversation of broken clutch cables reminded me to check the cable and lube it :thumb::thumb:Good for another 10K
Good idea, but how do you "pull" the clutch in if there is no clutch cable attached, as was in my case?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Similar results

I have used a short length of hockey stick handle with similar results. :)

·
Premium Member
9,198 Posts
Good idea, but how do you "pull" the clutch in if there is no clutch cable attached, as was in my case?
For some reason the forum didn't update edited post's yesterday, so what I added was, use a adjustable, the actuator has two flat edges, rotate clockwise. I say a adjustable as it won't leave a mark. You can try this out with the cable attached . As always, a picture =1000 words

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ing-cable.html
Two photos with the 10 " adjustable on the lever, a open end wrench of 17mm or 11/16 will also work, the 10 " adjustable is the best fit

And here it is with me turning clockwise about 90', it could go further, but as you can see the cable is bending and I didn't want to go further and have the cable pop out.

·
Premium Member
9,198 Posts
Screw Up with The Forum

OK definitely something wrong with the forum, complete thread got deleted then double posts in the new How To thread. I have moved the double posts back to a new thread, however some of the original posts got deleted. No idea what is happening , this happened 1 year ago, however my last post in the How To wasn't duplicated.
I pulled a work order to find out the Why, however those posts are gone as far as I can tell , unless they go back to the last saved backup.:mad:

I added some photos for my last post;
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/74-how-forum/121330-clutch-cable-lubing-re-routing-changing-cable.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts